• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

7 yr old English Lab suddenly unable to use left back leg

HillaryA

Registered
Slow to get up, the leg appears weak and shaky when he stands. Not bearing weight on it. Appeared to improve temporarily with massage. Slightly warmer than other leg. Not witnessed injuring it. Doesnt appear painful to touch. Concerned about neurological issue? Arthritis? Infection?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Hillary-

Thanks for making your first post!

Is this about a pup, a kitty, or...? Age, breed, diet, history, BEAM...?

You can learn more about the important context by reading Aruna's great forum posting guide which is above "follow this posting guide".

Then please post back here so you can get a more helpful reply.

Thanks!

HillaryA

Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff sorry about that.

2. Pet Name: Benson
3. 7 almost 8 yo
4. Male
5. Neutered
6. English Lab
7. 100lbs
8. BEAM - normally very happy, social, loving, playful, goofy, good listener, sleeps during the day by us while we work and walks 1-2 miles/plays in evenings, thinks he’s the man of the house, always hungry and begging for food.
9. American Natural Premium 1cup twice daily since he was born. Within last year we’ve experimented with Honest brand dog food and making homemade raw dog food but never formulated plan to keep up with it. Honest food made him gassy.
11. Problem: acutely unable to bear weight on left hind leg. Feels warmer than other legs, slow to get up and sit down, he won’t lay on his left hip, leg shakes when he stands. I initially thought his leg was asleep but it has persisted for a few hours now. I did not witness him doing anything abnormally that would make me think it was injured. He accidentally ate some cooked potatoes with onions in them earlier probably about a table spoon of onions.. I’m wondering if this could be a reaction? But no drooling or abdominal symptoms. (On a side note we have an apt with Dr Christina on Wednesday about 1-2 year old Lipomas).
12. Massage seemed to improve his mobility temporarily but it seems like after standing for a couple of minutes he can’t bear weight any longer and sits down slowly.
13. No diagnostics done new onset
14. NA
15. Lipomas, itchy drainy ears, constantly begging for food, working on figuring out a new diet plan

HillaryA

Registered
He does appear to have range of motion of his leg once he’s able to get up. It almost seems like the issue is at his left hip, however I misspoke he is actually only lying on his left hip/side. I don’t know why it would come on so suddenly.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Christine-

Thanks for sharing the additional, very helpful, details about Benson.

It sounds like he is one happy guy! That will help him heal as best he is able.

He's a big boy at 100 lbs. but does his weight seem good to you, or do you think he should he be thinner?

You mentioned that his BEAM is usually good. How about just before and since the leg problem?

Are you able to get him in to your vet for an exam today? Regardless, a few doses of Arnica may be a good idea if you haven't already given him any:

This weekend perhaps focus on 2 things:

1. Keeping him quiet in case this was a muscle strain/partial ACL tear.

2. Stimulate his BEAMing. By that I mean to focus on things that make him super-happy like small Happy Meals, treats, quiet games, slow Therapeutic Sniff Walks, lots of snuffle mat sessions, etc.

Here's Archie BEAMing over a small Happy Meal:

Happiness speeds healing:

No, this is probably not a reaction to the onions. However, giving him little bits of frresh food, wild blueberries, raw/lightly cooked eggs, etc. will increase his vitality and healing.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom