• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

14yo Shepherd Lab Mix May Have Herniated Disc; In Pain; Not Using Back Legs

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Hi everyone -

My daughter, Morgan's dog, Mackey, has been experiencing pain in his back legs, both of which of the last couple of years, have had ACL surgery. Mackey is a generally healthy 14yo shepherd lab mix but he has seen his share of pharmaceuticals, unfortunately. His core symptom at the moment is his immobility, any pain he's experiencing. I do know also that he is having trouble urinating.
I am going to do a case write up on Mackey with Morgan and will post the general symptoms, any modalities Morgan has noticed, any peculiars, concomitants, etc.

We are looking to decrease inflammation/reduce pain and build up Mackey's vital force. I'll be back with a follow up and more info. Thanks!
Jody

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that Mackey's experiencing pain and immobile. :(

When did he start becoming immobile?

Did the vet say that he might have a disc prolapse or infection?

It's good to get vet data right away in situations like this. Mainly to rule out an acute surgical emergency.

Usually an exam alone, and sometimes x-rays and blood tests are used to arrive at a diagnosis, treatment and prognosis.

Doing a diagnostic workup is recommended because it uncovers internal symptoms that would otherwise be hidden like TPR, blood count, kidney tests, etc.

Using internal and external symptoms helps fill out the holistic and homeopathic "picture" to inform choice of a homeopathic medicine. As you know, a remedy close enough to his similimum could stop the pain and start the healing process immediately.

The more ways that we can help activate his natural healing processes and speed, the better.

Please keep us updated Jody.

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that Mackey's experiencing pain and immobile. :(

When did he start becoming immobile?

Did the vet say that he might have a disc prolapse or infection?

It's good to get vet data right away in situations like this. Mainly to rule out an acute surgical emergency.

Usually an exam alone, and sometimes x-rays and blood tests are used to arrive at a diagnosis, treatment and prognosis.

Doing a diagnostic workup is recommended because it uncovers internal symptoms that would otherwise be hidden like TPR, blood count, kidney tests, etc.

Using internal and external symptoms helps fill out the holistic and homeopathic "picture" to inform choice of a homeopathic medicine. As you know, a remedy close enough to his similimum could stop the pain and start the healing process immediately.

The more ways that we can help activate his natural healing processes and speed, the better.

Please keep us updated Jody.
Her vet is an allopathic vet also trained in some naturopathic modalities. She has used acupuncture, cold laser therapy and assissi loop treatments on Mackey. They worked initially but only lasted a day or so.
Mackey, unfortunately, has had diagnosed osteo arthritis symptoms for a while now and he had a tumble down the stairs on 12/27 that may have herniated a disc. He has not had an MRI as yet; it is very expensive in LA - like $4000. Also, Mackey has been on a ton of pharmaceuticals over the course of the last 5 years and that is not helping.
My daughter's vet thinks we're at last ditch efforts at this point re Mackey and is suggesting putting him on Prednisone to reduce the inflammation and give him the best chance at being able to use his back legs again before the inflammation unchecked makes the damage too great to recover from.
She's not sure what to do.
I've done up a case for Mackey that I'm happy to share here for educational purposes. Also Mackey's vet records - Morgan is still waiting for one other vet to send records.

Dr. Jeff, please feel free to weigh in.

Thank you!
Jody

Attachments

• Mackey Vet Records - Nordhoff Hospital-8966_ph.pdf
    191.5 KB · Views: 3

JodyLT

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
UPDATE on Mackey - 2/16/21 - After Dr. Jeff's great advice, my daughter got Mackey started on 1M Arnica right away (Sunday) and ordered 10M Arnica, which is being delivered. She ordered the Ellevet joint as well as to calm Mackey and she's picked up Answers raw pet food to start incorporating into Mackey's diet, so the vitality of his food is greatly increased. She is also using the Assissi Ring on him a lot.
Mackey received his first Reiki session on Saturday and also started back up on Prednisone. We're not sure whether it was the Pred or Reiki or maybe both, but Mackey sat up right after his Reiki session for the first time in weeks and since he's been on the Arnica and Pred, he's been sitting up more. Which can only mean he's feeling a bit better, thank goodness.

I'll update everyone once Mackey goes on the 10M arnica and hopefully weans back his Pred dosage. And how the raw food impacts, assissi ring, etc.

This is our sweet boy, Mackey.

Again, thank you so much, Dr. Jeff!

Mackey 2:13:21.JPEG

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom