• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

14 week old puppy regurgitating

AngeleL

VIP Member
Registered
hi everyone,

I have a 14 week old puppy that has been on a raw/cooked diet since the beginning. Its been a few days now that she eats her breakfast, normal quiet pace , no rush just like usual and not even 1 minute after being done she regurgitates everything!?
Morning meal is the only time this happens, for her other meals, lunch and supper none of that happens. She is happy, drinking, playing nothing in her behavior changed.

I have tried dividing the morning portion into small ones taking break in between and still the same thing happens.....what could be causing this morning sickness?

AngeleL

VIP Member
Registered
There doesn’t seem to be any retching - it just basically comes back out and yes pretty much in tubular shape. Afterwards she shakes her head and will almost always throw up a little clear liquid.

AngeleL

VIP Member
Registered
Is it vomiting (active, retching, effort from stomach) or regurgitation (passive, food just sort of "falls" back out in a tubular shape?
There doesn’t seem to be any retching - it just basically comes back out and yes pretty much in tubular shape. Afterwards she shakes her head and will almost always throw up a little clear liquid.

AngeleL

VIP Member
Registered
i am wondering if it could be acid reflux ? maybe feeding her breakfast 1 hour after she is up could help, i will try that tomorrow morning and see if it helps, i'm not sure what else could help.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Acid reflux is unlikely. Regurgitation has different causes than vomiting, usually something anatomic or otherwise weird... but it's interesting that it only happens at breakfast. I think delaying feeding in the morning is a good idea, let's try and see what happens!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Angele, what breed is your pup?

Is the food colder in the am, than later in the day?

In addition to what Dr. Jean advised a consideration may be megaesophagus.

Unlike a full-blown megaesophagus, this can be sporadic and transient (20-40% of the time in G. Danes).

AngeleL

VIP Member
Registered
Angele, what breed is your pup?

Is the food colder in the am, than later in the day?

In addition to what Dr. Jean advised a consideration may be megaesophagus.

Unlike a full-blown megaesophagus, this can be sporadic and transient (20-40% of the time in G. Danes).

she is a Standard Poodle, as for the food temperature its always the same no different then the other meals.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom