• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

10 year old German Shepard with issues healing tooth extraction

KristineF

All-Access Member
Registered

• name: Marley
  • Approximate age : 10
  • Sex: Male
  • Neutering status: Neutered
  • Breed: German Shepherd/Rhodesian Ridgeback
  • Approximate weight: 69 lbs
  • What's their BEAM : Relaxed and Lazy since not feeling well a little aggressive on walks
  • Diet: Home cooked meals ( Organic chicken thighs, organic Veg, Organic Wild caught Salmon )
  • Vaccination history: minimal ( nothing within the last 4 years)
  • Problem:. Marley got a tooth extracted a little more then a month ago and it's been a nightmare. He has a compromised immune system from Lyme's disease making healing hard . he also has been bit by a few ticks recently making things worse . He never showed signs of infection in his mouth I was just concerned of a broken tooth and scheduled extraction. 2 days prior to surgery he started dropping food and I knew he was in pain I went to the dog e.r and he was put on amoxicillin which I gave him hesitant yes but I was not willing to play around with infection. The antibiotics made his Lyme's and inflammation worse . The tooth was pulled we continued antibiotics until done . He had healed very very slowly and had struggled with sinus congestion and stomach issues on and off . He gets better a few days then worse again . I've cut out all fat out of his diet after realizing it made things worse . I've tried goldenseal tincture ( 1 ml 2 xday per directions) for a few days then stop because I don't like the side effects I read about but it does help it seems to wipe out the infection but it comes back . He has labored breathing when he lays down and just sounds so stuffy his vet is absolutely no help and I'm waiting on an appointment with a new one . His stomach issues are diarrhea sometimes when the infection seems to be bad . I just really need help he can't breathe and I need my boy back .
  • What make it worse: fat in the diet makes it worse
  • Has any diagnostic work been done? Market has had a chest x ray heart Ultrasound and CBC all coming back normal Diagnosis if available
  • Current and previous treatment: Amoxicillin for 14 days , Goldenseal tincture 1ml 2 x day for 4 days then stopped . Started again last night he got 2 dose in one day I'm hesitant to continue goldenseal but it's all I know of natural that works right now but I don't like what I read about it
  • Osteoarthritis, Lyme's .

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi again Kristine!

Thanks for today's call and other info about Marley.

Here's the snuffle mat thread I mentioned:

And here's the ionbox negative ion generator thread:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom