• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Simpatico Trio

JillR

Registered
Hello, there is a treatment for heartworms and flea and ticks out there called Simpatico Trio. What do we think of this product?
Are all vaccines considered unhealthy for my dog except for the rabies shot?
Thank you

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Simpatico Trio. What do we think of this product?
Great question Jill! Well, it is effective (according to the research which the company published). Also according to the conventional vet who gave a webinar about it, everyone should be using it.

Personally I try to avoid any strong artificial medication (especially when they work via the brain). Here's some of the drug's package insert:

PRECAUTIONS
Sarolaner, one of the ingredients in SIMPARICA TRIO, is a member of the isoxazoline
class. This class has been associated with neurologic adverse reactions including
tremors, ataxia, and seizures. Seizures have been reported in dogs receiving
isoxazoline class drugs, even in dogs without a history of seizures. Use with
caution in dogs with a history of seizures or neurologic disorders.
Prior to administration of SIMPARICA TRIO, dogs should be tested for existing
heartworm infections. Infected dogs should be treated with an adulticide to remove
adult heartworms. SIMPARICA TRIO is not effective against adult D. immitis.
The safe use of SIMPARICA TRIO has not been evaluated in breeding, pregnant, or
lactating dogs.

MODE OF ACTION
SIMPARICA TRIO contains three active pharmaceutical ingredients, sarolaner,
moxidectin, and pyrantel pamoate.
Sarolaner is an acaricide and insecticide belonging to the isoxazoline group. Sarolaner
inhibits the function of the neurotransmitter gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA)
receptor and glutamate receptor, and works at the neuromuscular junction in insects.
This results in uncontrolled neuromuscular activity leading to death in insects or
acarines.
Moxidectin is an endectocide in the macrocyclic lactone class. Moxidectin acts by
interfering with the chloride channel‑mediated neurotransmission in the parasite.
This results in paralysis and death of the parasite.
Pyrantel pamoate is a nematocide belonging to the tetrahydropyrimidine class.
Pyrantel acts as a depolarizing, neuromuscular‑blocking agent in susceptible
parasites, which causes paralysis and death or expulsion of the organism

The company's safety test seems to have been for 28 days during which the dogs in the study were fine.

However, the long-term effect was not considered (per the package insert). And they definitely did not consider the effect it may have on what HA! vets consider being the most critical factor--energetic balance.

Are all vaccines considered unhealthy for my dog except for the rabies shot?
I'd have a similar answer to this question except that the occasional serious acute problem is more common with vaccines. IMHO the chronic effects are more apparent than for Simparica.

When it comes to vaccination, I'd suggest learning as much as possible to make a decision.

@aruna, I'd appreciate it if you point Jill to the vaccinosis e-book (for pets) and Dr. Saine's great vaccination article (for people).

Jill, you'll also find lots more resources in the vaccination area of the member site.

JillR

Registered
Great question Jill! Well, it is effective (according to the research which the company published). Also according to the conventional vet who gave a webinar about it, everyone should be using it.

Personally I try to avoid any strong artificial medication (especially when they work via the brain). Here's some of the drug's package insert:

PRECAUTIONS
Sarolaner, one of the ingredients in SIMPARICA TRIO, is a member of the isoxazoline
class. This class has been associated with neurologic adverse reactions including
tremors, ataxia, and seizures. Seizures have been reported in dogs receiving
isoxazoline class drugs, even in dogs without a history of seizures. Use with
caution in dogs with a history of seizures or neurologic disorders.
Prior to administration of SIMPARICA TRIO, dogs should be tested for existing
heartworm infections. Infected dogs should be treated with an adulticide to remove
adult heartworms. SIMPARICA TRIO is not effective against adult D. immitis.
The safe use of SIMPARICA TRIO has not been evaluated in breeding, pregnant, or
lactating dogs.

MODE OF ACTION
SIMPARICA TRIO contains three active pharmaceutical ingredients, sarolaner,
moxidectin, and pyrantel pamoate.
Sarolaner is an acaricide and insecticide belonging to the isoxazoline group. Sarolaner
inhibits the function of the neurotransmitter gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA)
receptor and glutamate receptor, and works at the neuromuscular junction in insects.
This results in uncontrolled neuromuscular activity leading to death in insects or
acarines.
Moxidectin is an endectocide in the macrocyclic lactone class. Moxidectin acts by
interfering with the chloride channel‑mediated neurotransmission in the parasite.
This results in paralysis and death of the parasite.
Pyrantel pamoate is a nematocide belonging to the tetrahydropyrimidine class.
Pyrantel acts as a depolarizing, neuromuscular‑blocking agent in susceptible
parasites, which causes paralysis and death or expulsion of the organism

The company's safety test seems to have been for 28 days during which the dogs in the study were fine.

However, the long-term effect was not considered (per the package insert). And they definitely did not consider the effect it may have on what HA! vets consider being the most critical factor--energetic balance.

I'd have a similar answer to this question except that the occasional serious acute problem is more common with vaccines. IMHO the chronic effects are more apparent than for Simparica.

When it comes to vaccination, I'd suggest learning as much as possible to make a decision.

@aruna, I'd appreciate it if you point Jill to the vaccinosis e-book (for pets) and Dr. Saine's great vaccination article (for people).

Jill, you'll also find lots more resources in the vaccination area of the member site.
Okay, I will check it out. Shiro is due at the end of the month for a heartworm check, rabies vaccine and lepto vaccine. I don't have to do the lepto vaccine but I need to do the rabies vaccine. Should I do the heartworm check? What do I do in place of simpatico trio. I have not given her the dose for this month. Thank you

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Jill,
Fleas: Healthy dogs just do not get fleas, so focus on building health (part of that is avoiding chemicals and drugs). Put fleas in the search in the forum and get LOTS of member responses. My flea book on kindle (Fleas Be Gone) will give you a deeper understanding of fleas.
Tags (EMF and ultrasonic); flower essences (para-outta-site(jacksongalaxy.com), flee free(greenhopeessences.com), parasites(petessences.com)), essential oils; Bug off (garlic), fresh garlic, fresh nutritional yeast, herbal sprays.

Ticks: https://www.holisticactions.com/what-is-the-best-way-to-prevent-ticks/ Has some information. Check out tickless.com, a tag that uses sounds to repel ticks. We are still getting feedback on this product. (good for mosquitoes and fleas, too). Many of the flea suggestions are for ticks, too.

Heartworm: yes, definitely test. If not using preventative (it is really a morning after pill that does what the immune system should do) test every 6 months. The test often includes one for lyme, but do not start antibiotics if no symptoms - take the lyme class instead.

Leptospirosis: Read more about vaccines in the 5 lesson course. And/or watch our video. Go to dashboard, member resource library and click on vaccines for LOTS more information on vaccines. Lepto vaccines often do not have the serotypes that are causing local cases. Lepto is transmitted by the urine of rats and other mammals. Lepto is a bacterial vaccine, so has limited immunity and needs to be repeated. Holistically we see many issues after lepto vaccines.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Should I do the heartworm check?
Yes (up to 2x/year).
What do I do in place of simpatico trio. I have not given her the dose for this month.
The one I recommend for clients who want to use a heartworm "preventive" is also the original one, Heartgard. However, some animals still have reactions to it.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom