• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

BioPower Pet Shield

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Thanks, Debbie, for posting this.

Most importantly, as we discuss frequently at Holistic Actions, healthy dogs and cats JUST DO NOT GET FLEAS unless super exposure. They are much less likely to get tick borne diseases, though they still can get ticks.

I started with zero bug zone and had fairly good successes. Then I was thrilled with catandog.com. Bio power's site says the same too. Members posted here about other companies.
1. None of the companies could explain to me how they really worked. Dr. Sue Howell and Dr. Susan Wagner also could not quite understand how they worked.
a. Especially their rationale for needing to have the tag on for a month before it was effective made no sense.
2. Each of the companies had marketing strategies that did not make sense to me:
a. different tags for cats/dogs/people/ticks/fleas/horse flies, etc.
3. Each tag had restrictions that made them not work that well for many people:
a. You can't get them wet in the water or in a bath or you have to start all over again with the 30 day "creation of the protective Zone."
Even with all the restrictions, many dogs got fewer ticks and people fewer mosquitoes when using them, even if not carefully following directions. All the companies seemed to give similar results.

At the Global Pet Expo, I was introduced to HOW DOES IT WORK. The company was started in Hungary and has been in Europe for a long time. This is the first time I have an explanation for the way their tag works that makes sense to me. Though I still have one concern that needs exploring, this may be a good one. At the expo they told me (not always exactly what the web site says):
  • the tag is effective immediately, so even if your dog loves to swim or need baths for mud playing times, you take the tag off then just put it back on.
  • It is best when no or few fleas or ticks are present, but still can help.
  • Salt water will inactivate it. Fresh water may harm the battery if in the water for an hour or so, but you can dry out the battery.
  • It works by emitting an ultrasonic vibration that annoys the pests, especially the Haller's Organ at the tip of the first appendage of the ticks that senses CO2, heat and humidity. The ultrasonic wave is an acoustic (sound) energy in the form of waveshaving a frequency range above that of human hearing range. The insects do not like it, so run away. He said some will hide under the tag for awhile sometimes, then when out where they get the sounds will run away. This finally makes sense.
  • The question we need to ask is if the frequencies (not detailed on the web site) are in the frequency range that dogs and cats can hear, and if so, is it damaging to them. I will be checking with Dr. Susan Wagner and Lisa Spector about this. And with the European homeopathic veterinarians. Since the company has been in business in Europe for decades, and I have not heard bad reports, I think they may be good.
As always, the answer is "it depends" on each family circumstance and what more information we can gather.

Dr. Christina

Last edited:

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Christina,
Thank you very much for your reply.
Buxton does not have an issue with fleas but ticks are a BIG problem. His numbers have been very high (10,676) on the Multiplex test. Thankfully he hasn’t shown any disease. I had Lyme disease myself last October probably from a tick off Buxton. I have tried EOs and sprays and Neem oil and an insect shield bandana I check him daily and get ticks off him and probably miss some too because of his long, thick coat.
I will wait to hear back after you get responses from the people you reached out to.
Thank you!
Debbie

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
since you are pulling off so many ticks, I would go ahead and try the collar, even while I wait for responses.

Just notice if there are any behavioral changes after starting to use it.
DR. Christina

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
since you are pulling off so many ticks, I would go ahead and try the collar, even while I wait for responses.

Just notice if there are any behavioral changes after starting to use it.
DR. Christina

Thank you!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom