• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Lucy tips on house/crate training

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
We adopted Lucy almost 3 months ago, she is a Teckel but we think there is a Jack Russel mix involved. They claimed she was 5 y/o but other veterinarians believe she is 1-2 y/o. From what we know she has got one vaccine against rabies. At the beginning Lucy was very very shy and easily frightened, also outdoors she would be scared of cars or sometimes people, we believe she has been through a lot of trauma ? She´s also the sweetest dog and even though it would take her some time to come to me in the beginning, even though she seemed like she wanted to, she would then rest her head on my chest, so she is a very cuddly dog and now also very playful and full of energy.

After a short time, she started chewing on our furniture and peeing/pooping non stop in our hose and she would also pee on the couch. What I noticed is that she has separation anxiety and so if no one was home, she would destroy even more stuff and she would cry. We started taking her outdoors every 2 h but that is not possible right now and she isn´t pooping indoors anymore but sometimes still peeing on the floor or couch, what can we do?
To fix the chewing problem in the beginning we bought a crate but I´m unsure how to train her properly so she doesn´t feel anxious being in there when no one´s at home. If we´re at home it´s no problem but it becomes one, when we leave.

She´s not scared when going outside anymore, but sometimes when I have to correct her behaviour she gets a bit scared, is there something I can do differently? I try to be gentle but assertive.

What I have noticed about her is that she has a lot of hair shedding and it probably is due to a previous unhealthy diet, but is there anything specifically I can give her? Is it possible for her to not shed any hair in the future or is a little bit normal? I´m saying this because my other dog Sissi has no hair shedding.

Additionally, Lucy would have rapid breathing a month ago, on some occasions, even though that has stopped for a while, any ideas due to what that could be? And she would also have nightmares as well, but that has improved so much as well.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for adopting Lucy!

Yes, there are other management methods and tips. I have asked dog trainer extraordinaire @jenbridwell to add some to this thread.

jenbridwell

All-Access Member
HA! Faculty
Hi Celina-

Do you crate her at all now? How does she act when she's in there? For now, I would get her a snuffle mat or activity mat and use it inside the crate to get her happy about being in there without you having anything to do with the activity. It might be very helpful for you to work with a trainer for a lesson or two, as there is a lot you can do to enrich Lucy's life, and help her build confidence.
Some shedding all the time is normal, and often increases in the transition seasons of spring and fall. It is certainly something to keep track of in her journal.

CelinaS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for adopting Lucy!

Yes, there are other management methods and tips. I have asked dog trainer extraordinaire @jenbridwell to add some to this thread.
Thank you Dr. Jeff!
Hi Celina-

Do you crate her at all now? How does she act when she's in there? For now, I would get her a snuffle mat or activity mat and use it inside the crate to get her happy about being in there without you having anything to do with the activity. It might be very helpful for you to work with a trainer for a lesson or two, as there is a lot you can do to enrich Lucy's life, and help her build confidence.
Some shedding all the time is normal, and often increases in the transition seasons of spring and fall. It is certainly something to keep track of in her journal.
Hi Celina-

Hi Jen,

Thank you so much for your help.

We crate her in specific situations at the moment but not as often now. When she’s in there she is very calm and unbothered, the problem is when no one’s at home, then she starts panicking.
Will a bone she can chew on help as well, once she’s in there or only the snuffle mat?

Thank you ??

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Anything that is safe to leave her alone with will work (like a snuffle mat).

Perhaps a frozen stuffed Kong or other pupsicle...

ThomasH

All-Access Member
Registered
One of the best things I do when it comes to anxious dogs is to work on relaxation. Lie your dog down on their side and just give them calm energy by softly rubbing their side, rubbing their belly, and give them a little bit of massage. When you first do this your dog may be resistant but don't give up! Before you know it your dog will start to let their guard down and embrace the relaxation.
If you are going out and are putting your pet in a crate, give them a marrow bone or a pupsicle to occupy their time. Put on some soft easy listening music too. This will help to ease your dogs mind.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks for making your first post Thomas!

Thanks as well for your time today on our HMDM call.

Rocky's a lucky boy to have you as his dad.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom