• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

How To Get My Greyhound to Poop More

ChristineDG

All-Access Member
Registered
My 2 greyhounds have been eating the same for a while now. Rocky seems to be pooping less for some reason. What can I give, besides ground flax powder? Maybe Psyllium husk powder? A healthy fiber/laxative?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
This may be totally normal.
How is Rocky's BEAM.
Does he strain at all?
Does he have abdominal discomfort - maybe trouble lying down?
When he does have a stool, is it white, or dry, or soft?
When dogs are healthy and on a raw meat diet they often have very small stools because they are absorbing all the nutrients.

Dr. Christina

ChristineDG

All-Access Member
Registered
This may be totally normal.
How is Rocky's BEAM.
His BEAM seems OK, but he bites at his stomach throughout the day
Does he strain at all?
No
Does he have abdominal discomfort - maybe trouble lying down?
He periodically bites at his stomach throughout the day
When he does have a stool, is it white, or dry, or soft?
When dogs are healthy and on a raw meat diet they often have very small stools because they are absorbing all the nutrients.
Normal, brown
Dr. Christina

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Did the biting at the stomach start just recently? Are there bumps or redness on the belly?

Rather than think about things to affect the stool, since it seems normal, focus on building up a healthy gut. Try some probiotics, pre biotics, digestive enzymes or raw goats milk.

Keep us posted.

Dr. Christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Were it I, I'd be exploring for any sensitive spots, doing some light fingertip massage on the belly, a little T-Touch or acupressure on the spine, just looking for reactive spots.

Is he normally active? How long has the biting been going on? Skin broken or irritated? Appetite normal? Does he eat whole bones?

ChristineDG

All-Access Member
Registered
Were it I, I'd be exploring for any sensitive spots, doing some light fingertip massage on the belly, a little T-Touch or acupressure on the spine, just looking for reactive spots.

Is he normally active?
He goes on 3-5 walks per day
How long has the biting been going on?
He's been biting there daily for at least 6 months. I thought it was bc he was hungry honestly, or that he had to go to the bathroom
Skin broken or irritated?
No, the skin is not broken or irritated
Appetite normal?
No, over the past week now he seems like he doesn't want breakfast. Like we have to make him eat. We have a dentist appt next week. When I brush his teeth I don't see anything, but it could be deeper or somewhere else in the body.
Does he eat whole bones?
Nope, I gave him a rib bone once, he just ate all the meat off of it. He doesn't like to chew hard things, never really has

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
christine,
you said:"No, over the past week now he seems like he doesn't want breakfast. Like we have to make him eat."
will he eat soft food? oatmeal, drink broth or milk?
Dr. Christina

ChristineDG

All-Access Member
Registered
christine,
you said:"No, over the past week now he seems like he doesn't want breakfast. Like we have to make him eat."
will he eat soft food? oatmeal, drink broth or milk?
Dr. Christina
He eats his food eventually, but he acts like he wants to flip it over at first. I would say once an hour passes after we offer food, he slowly eats it. Should I do a 24hr fast maybe?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
It's a long shot, perhaps, but today I was wondering if there might be an obstruction of some sort in his gut. Might be something just blocking it a little, or a torsion or odd kink. He can digest through it, but doesn't prefer to. Just a thought.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom