• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Adenocarcinoma of the thyroid

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
I'm looking for comments about adenocarcinoma of the thyroid. About 2 months ago my brother took in an 8.5 yo golden retriever when the previous owner passed away. The dog is a very sweet boy and transitioned nicely to my brother's home. The vet found a 3 cm lump on his larynx and did a fine needle aspirate and diagnosed adenocarcinoma of the thyroid. x-rays showed lungs are clear. The oncologist is recommending surgery. The dog is not showing any symptoms. BEAM appears fine though not knowing his history there is nothing to compare it to. I have encouraged him to begin feeding a fresh food diet. He has a consult appointment with the surgeon. I am trying to help him consider all options and would like your input.
Thanks!
Debbie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Debbie-

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's new dog. :(

Were there any blood tests run?

Had your brother noticed the lump before going to the vet? If so, did it grow?

Surgery is indeed the conventional treatment of choice but, as you know, there's lots that can be done to support the pup before and after it.

Prime among them is indeed the fresh food diet as well as as many therapeutic sniff walks as possible. Environmental engagement before and after surgery are key.

Please let us know if the surgeon thinks this is operable. When's the appointment?

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Yes, blood tests were done and were ok. There was protein in the urine. He did test negative for Lyme. Unfortunately the vet gave him lepto and Lyme vaccines.

No, the lump wasn’t noticed before the vet. He took him in for a wellness check and mentioned the dog seemed to pant a lot. Because he’s had him a short time he didn’t know if that was his normal.

The appointment with the surgeon is January 29. I’m trying To help him with a list of questions to ask.

Thank you!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I'm looking for comments about adenocarcinoma of the thyroid. About 2 months ago my brother took in an 8.5 yo golden retriever when the previous owner passed away. The dog is a very sweet boy and transitioned nicely to my brother's home. The vet found a 3 cm lump on his larynx and did a fine needle aspirate and diagnosed adenocarcinoma of the thyroid. x-rays showed lungs are clear. The oncologist is recommending surgery. The dog is not showing any symptoms. BEAM appears fine though not knowing his history there is nothing to compare it to. I have encouraged him to begin feeding a fresh food diet. He has a consult appointment with the surgeon. I am trying to help him consider all options and would like your input.
Thanks!
Debbie
Hi, My dog had a thyroid tumor November 2019 removed that was sitting on her carotid artery. It was benign but it was functional meaning it was overproducing thyroid hormones. That is how it was found. Everyone thought it was a lab error because the T4 was so high. Don't know how long it was there because most vets don't do a deep exam of the thyroid if there isn't a suspicion. So My dog was about 12 when it was removed. Had it not been a functional tumor, don't know if and when it would be found. Previously the dog had normal thyroid levels. It was thought originally perhaps, since she eats raw, that she was getting extra thyroid hormone from the food if the gullet was not removed. I switched food but it did not change the results. She did fine but a few months after having the thyroid tumor removed she went HYPOthyroid and now takes Thyro-tabs.

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi, My dog had a thyroid tumor November 2019 removed that was sitting on her carotid artery. It was benign but it was functional meaning it was overproducing thyroid hormones. That is how it was found. Everyone thought it was a lab error because the T4 was so high. Don't know how long it was there because most vets don't do a deep exam of the thyroid if there isn't a suspicion. So My dog was about 12 when it was removed. Had it not been a functional tumor, don't know if and when it would be found. Previously the dog had normal thyroid levels. It was thought originally perhaps, since she eats raw, that she was getting extra thyroid hormone from the food if the gullet was not removed. I switched food but it did not change the results. She did fine but a few months after having the thyroid tumor removed she went HYPOthyroid and now takes Thyro-tabs.
Thank you for sharing about your dog’s thyroid tumor. Glad it was benign and hope she continues to do fine.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Debbie-

How's your brother's pup?

LilF

Community Member
Registered
any updates on your brother's dog? I know how worried I was and what you must be experiencing. It is good though that it is not in lungs. Please let us know when you can.

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks for checking on Sunshine, my brother’s dog.
He had surgery February 9th and they removed both thyroids and 1 parathyroid. He is now on thyroid meds and they are monitoring calcium levels for the parathyroid. They are not recommending radiation or chemo which is good news! He did well with the surgery and was happy to be home the day after.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Thanks for checking on Sunshine, my brother’s dog.
He had surgery February 9th and they removed both thyroids and 1 parathyroid. He is now on thyroid meds and they are monitoring calcium levels for the parathyroid. They are not recommending radiation or chemo which is good news! He did well with the surgery and was happy to be home the day after.
I am soooooo happy to hear this!!! Glad you all got through this. What a lucky dog now who transitioned to a loving new home. I would avoid unnecessary vaccines though at his age. They really last longer than the prescribed "time frame" when you get a "due notice." Ronald Schultz and Dr. Jean Dodds has done a lot of work in this area. My dogs get titers and seems they are still immune after many years. Once again, congratulations on your brother's dog getting a new lease on life!!!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom