• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Concerns with switching to fresh raw food diet

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello, I'm looking for a little advice. We have a 3 year old African Mastiff with skin allergies and we are strongly considering switching to a fresh raw food diet, however, we also have an 11 year old Shepherd/Lab mix who was diagnosed with Histiocytosis three years ago and she is on 100 mg of Atopica twice a week. When she was diagnosed by the dermatologist, she specifically told me that our dog shouldn't eat any raw meat because her immune system is compromised. I'm in a bit of conundrum and I'm not sure which if she will be ok on raw food. I do have her on some supplements to aid in building her immune system, but I'm not sure how much damage the Atopica does overall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Welcome Lisa!

Thanks so much for sharing your first forum post. ?

Decisions like this can really be difficult, and are really important.

That's where Holistic Medical Decision Making (HMDM) comes in.

HMDM Step 1 is to choose a goal.

The goal for the pets of HA! students is quality of life. Not resolution or palliation of any specific symptom.

How are both of your dog's BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood)?beam.jpegThese are the quality of life symptoms that also directly reflect their vitality.

Both of your pups would probably love to eat fresh (vs. commercial) food.

It doesn't have to be raw.

thefarmersdog.com and myollie.com both sell, and ship to your house, good fresh (and cooked) foods.

Click/tap here to download the full HMDM handout.

See 'ya on Monday's webinar.

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Welcome Lisa!

The goal for the pets of HA! students is quality of life. Not resolution or palliation of any specific symptom.

How are both of your dog's BEAM (Behavior, Energy, Appetite, Mood)?beam.jpegThese are the quality of life symptoms that also directly reflect their vitality.

thefarmersdog.com and myollie.com both sell, and ship to your house, good fresh (and cooked) foods.

Welcome Lisa!

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I still need to determine my goals with all of my dogs, but their BEAM seems to be good! They are both full of energy, have great appetites, etc. They don't get along too well, but its been that way since we brought the Boerboel home.

I took a look at the fresh food links and I realized that this is actually some of what I do for my dogs already. I need to do a little more research the amounts of protein and veggies to include, additional calcium, vitamin C? I think this is something I can do for them on my own without ordering. I'm excited about that!

I'm going to check out the HMDM handout.

Thank you again for your advice and direction! I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic Lisa! :snowman:

Ask away!!:)

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff!

Just a couple questions to start:

1. Is it necessary to cook the vegetables? In the past when I’ve given my dogs veggies, I just put them in the food processor raw and mixed them with the ground turkey/beef. Is that ok?

2. Since I won’t be feeding raw meat, therefore, no calcium from bones, how do I determine how much calcium to add? I have crushed egg shells from fresh unpasteurized eggs and was going to use them for the calcium.

3. Thank you for having so many resources on feeding our pets!! There is definitely a lot of info, I don’t think I’ve made it through half of it!

Lisa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
1. Raw food processed or juiced is highest vitality and provides for optimal healing.

2. I'm not quite sure what you mean here Lisa?

If you're not feeding muscle meat, you don't need to worry about calcium.

Canned and dry foods have any needed.

3. You're welcome!

Thank YOU for caring so much about your pups and finding HA! and learning more about their vitality and balance.

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
1. Raw food processed or juiced is highest vitality and provides for optimal healing.

2. I'm not quite sure what you mean here Lisa?

If you're not feeding muscle meat, you don't need to worry about calcium.

Canned and dry foods have any needed.

3. You're welcome!

Thank YOU for caring so much about your pups and finding HA! and learning more about their vitality and balance.

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
I’m sorry Dr Jeff, my second question was unclear. I should have stated that I would be cooking the meat, either ground turkey, ground beef, chicken thighs, etc. I would like to get them off of dry kibble altogether but since I need to cook the meat for Abby, I was thinking that I needed to add calcium since they wouldn’t have the bones that they would typically have with the raw chicken quarters.

Thank you!

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello, I noticed some odd behavior in Abby this morning. She ran outside as soon as she finished her breakfast and started squatting as if she had to poo, but nothing came out. She was clearly constipated as she continued to move around the yard and do the same thing. At one point, I saw a few little droppings, but she continued to do it, then she started dragging her back end on the grass, as if she was trying to release her anal glands. Then she threw up all of her breakfast. She seems really uneasy. I'm sure her tummy is hurting her. I was thinking of fasting her for tomorrow. She is on 3 cups of fresh food, 2 cups cooked ground turkey or beef and 1 cup veggies. I'm wondering if I should increase the veggies by adding a little pumpkin to increase the fiber?

Any thoughts?
Thank you for your time.
Lisa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Lisa!

Is she getting any big chunks of (or any) bone? Has she had pooping problems before today?

Great idea to fast her for the rest of the day and tomorrow.

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
You're welcome, Lisa!

Is she getting any big chunks of (or any) bone? Has she had pooping problems before today?

Great idea to fast her for the rest of the day and tomorrow.

Hello,

No, she doesn't get any big chunks or meat or bone. She's strictly on lightly cooked ground turkey or beef. I supplement the calcium with egg shells. She has never had any pooping problems before. We always referred to her as the "optimum pooper"!

I didn't see her go at all yesterday afternoon, but her behavior seems to be normal. We went on a walk and she was happy, sniffing things, peeing, and bouncing around.

I gave her a little spoonful of food today with some pumpkin. I felt a little guilty not feeding her when her sisters were eating. Crossing my fingers that she goes today.

Thank you for the feedback.
Lisa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom