• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Young cat with FIV

CandiceR

Community Member
Registered
Hi...I am so grateful that you have this forum available. Would love to hear your thoughts on my cat.

1. Nala
  2. Year and half old
  3. Female
  4. spayed 8/29/22
  5. Tabby domestic shorthair/mix
  6. 9lbs
  7. She is pretty mellow. She sleeps probably half of the day. Appetite varies. Seems to be increasing and eating up to 3 cans of wet food a day, but usually around 2 cans. She is very sweet and loves to be near me. She will move all around the house in a day...loves to go in the basement and explore. She does go outside but usually can be found in our yard.
  8. We got her from an animal shelter when she was probably 5 months old. I had never had a cat before and we were giving her dry food only for the first 9 months or so. She stopped wanting to eat her food so we started her on wet food. Learned that cats shouldn't be eating dry food...had no idea. Since we found out she has FIV a month ago I've been incorporating a few fruits and veggies like sweet potato and wild blueberries. She's not a fan of them though. I changed her food to a better quality without gluten, dairy or eggs. I've incorporated supplements as well. Vit c, zinc, lemon balm, pau d'arco, propolis, olive leaf, cats claw, barley grass juice powder and spirulina.
  9. 8/11/22 FelV Nobivac Merck, 1-HCPCh Nobivac Merck, Pyrantel Pamoate Suspension 8/25/22 FeLVNobivac Merck, 1-HCPCh Nobivac Merck, no medications
  10. In the spring we noticed she wasn't wanting to eat her food. So we asked around and heard that so many cats get picky and we thought she just wanted a different food. So we started giving her wet food and she ate that really well so we have kept her on that food since. About a month and a half ago we noticed her breath was smelling off. So we took her in and her poor gums were really inflamed and mucousy. And I believe this was the problem to why she stopped wanting hard food, because her mouth was hurting. The vet then did an FIV test and she was positive. They said they could pull her teeth but that doesn't always solve the problem. I personally do Medical Medium information and so I asked if I could try giving her supplements that I know could help and they were on board. It's hard to check her gums because her mouth is sensitive and won't let me. I do think the supplements are helping because she seems to feel better and is eating more. She was getting pretty skinny and she looks like she's gained some weight. She used to be pretty playful before this last spring, but hasn't been for several months. But this month I've seen her playing a bit more still not like she used to though. I changed her wet food to a better quality without eggs, dairy or gluten and add the above supplements daily. I usually do around 5 drops of each, not sure how much I should be doing. I have given her a small amount of raw food this month as well. I'm curious what more I can do to help her and what her diet should entail.
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Christina @Dr. Sara

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
How wonderful for this kitty that you are approaching your first time kitty parenting from a holistic standpoint.

It is unlikely that her teeth will need pulling right now, and maybe never, with a lot of holistic support.

There is LOTS of information at HA! to get you started. the good news is there is always more to learn and more to try. The challenge is there is so much that initially you will be overwhelmed. The big shift, as you have been learning with the medical medium and will learn even more deeply here, is to think of all symptoms and energy, play, etc as a whole and work to improve them all.

Because you are so new I would suggest.
  • Take time as soon as you can to read all the lessons and the links in the lessons of the pet health 101 class.
  • Because you are new to all this, find a great homeopathic or holistic vet with whom to work - now. Read the select a vet article to help.
  • Schedule your 15 minute call with one of us for more guidance.
  • Take a deep breath, relax, and remember there is no one correct answer, no perfect expert. Taking the time to intuitively tune in to what your cat needs is important.
  • Buy Anitra Frazier’s book The Natural Cat and listen to her two webinars (and another at you tube – All Paws Pet Talk TV). She is a real cat maven.
  • Don Hamilton’s Homeopathic Care of Cats and Dogs will also be a life time reference. For now, start by reading chapter two and three.
  • If there is a health food store, or even better a holistic pet store, in your area, try some of the frozen diets that are finely ground. Heat the food slightly to make it more appealing. Do not force any foods on her. Offer everything and anything – even a dab of organic ice cream. Raw goats milk, especially fermented; bone broths; and much more.
  • Dr. Hofve’s site is full of cat info – www.LittleBigCat.com and she will respond here with flower essence suggestions.
  • Focus on happiness – what brings her joy? Can you be silly with her? dance? Use a feather or other toy? Take her outside? Listen to Bernie Siegel both on HA and All paws pet talk tv you tube. Meditate. SLOWLY stroke.
  • Be patient with yourself and her (after you have done 1 & 2 above).
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom