• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Worms in dogs

JaninaL

VIP Member
Registered
My 4 month dog, Winnie, just vomited and I noticed a worm in her vomit!! It was curled up into a spiral, white in colour and approximately an inch and a half in length.
Do I need to do anything please?

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Yes. This is one of those times it is important to get a proper diagnosis. It is probably a roundworm, as they are passed in an amazing cycle to the puppies in utero. However they are usually longer than you are describing. Hookworms are possible, though very thin like a hair.

For anyone, if a worm is vomited, put it in a jar in the fridge and take to the vet along with a stool sample. If you are doing alternatives to vaccines as we discuss on HA!, you may need to be prepared to have a conversation about that with the vet.

While there are herbs and even flower essences that can eliminate worms, with puppies it is best to use the veterinary drug, in my opinion. Dr. Sara? Dr. Jeff?

Do you have a great vet to work with for this puppy?

Dr. Christina

JaninaL

VIP Member
Registered
Yes. This is one of those times it is important to get a proper diagnosis. It is probably a roundworm, as they are passed in an amazing cycle to the puppies in utero. However they are usually longer than you are describing. Hookworms are possible, though very thin like a hair.

For anyone, if a worm is vomited, put it in a jar in the fridge and take to the vet along with a stool sample. If you are doing alternatives to vaccines as we discuss on HA!, you may need to be prepared to have a conversation about that with the vet.

While there are herbs and even flower essences that can eliminate worms, with puppies it is best to use the veterinary drug, in my opinion. Dr. Sara? Dr. Jeff?

Do you have a great vet to work with for this puppy?

Dr. Christina

Dear Dr. Christina,

thank you very much for your prompt reply. I looked them up on google and I can tell you now that it was a roundworm. Unfortunately I flushed it down the toilet.
I will get in touch with our local vet.
Thank you very much.
Janina

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Most of the routine puppy conventional wormers, like Strongid and Panacur, are quite safe. It is important to prevent heavy worm infestation, as large worm loads can lead to damage to the intestinal tract and malabsorption, so pups should have stool checks, and be wormed as appropriate. Remember to ask for, and read, the package insert on everything you receive.

I breed dogs, and allow them access to woods. I haven't needed conventional wormers since I started giving them a liquid herbal product, Verm-X, once a month. This is no longer available in the US as it was so difficult for the company to import it, but you can still buy it on Amazon.

JaninaL

VIP Member
Registered
Most of the routine puppy conventional wormers, like Strongid and Panacur, are quite safe. It is important to prevent heavy worm infestation, as large worm loads can lead to damage to the intestinal tract and malabsorption, so pups should have stool checks, and be wormed as appropriate. Remember to ask for, and read, the package insert on everything you receive.

I breed dogs, and allow them access to woods. I haven't needed conventional wormers since I started giving them a liquid herbal product, Verm-X, once a month. This is no longer available in the US as it was so difficult for the company to import it, but you can still buy it on Amazon.

Dear Dr.Sarah

I am very grateful to your explanation and for the herbal product recomendation. It’s an incredible product!! It’s on it’s way. Can I use this product now instead of conventional wormers?

Also could you please recommend any other essential products for dogs? My puppy is actually 5 months old and in November will be 6 months old. She is on a Raw food diet and hasn’t had any vaccines. I am giving her at the moment the following supplements:
Animal Essentials Seeweed Calcium
Lemon Balm
Olive Leaf
Barley Grass Juice powder
Liquid B12 (Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin)

I live in the UK and it’s very hard for me to buy anything from the USA. Any suggestions would very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Janina

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I would suggest that you contact a homeopathic vet in the UK so that they can examine your pup and advise you regarding appropriate supplements. That is the ideal way to know what is best for your dog.
I lived in the UK for three years, and that is where I studied homeopathy; I know many of the vets in the BAHVS:
Many of them are also members of the Raw Feeding Veterinary Society.
Cheers,
Dr. Sara

JaninaL

VIP Member
Registered
Wonderful!! Thank you very much.
Best wishes
Janina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom