• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Worming treatment after fleas

TashaG

Community Member
Registered
I read that you should automatically give a worming medication after a flea outbreak. is that true?. We don't automatically give him worming medication normally. (The UK doesn't have heartworm. but it does have the other worms.) Budd is very healthy 3 yr old sheltie, on a real food diet. He's never had fleas before. TIA for any advice.
@Dr. Christina @Dr. Jeff

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Tasha!
I read that you should automatically give a worming medication after a flea outbreak. is that true?
I think the truth will depend on who you ask. Routine deworming after fleas is not my truth.

Especially in a pup as healthy and resilient as Budd.

Let's see what Dr. Christina and @Dr. Jean Hofve say.

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
The main parasite transmitted by fleas is tapeworm. Unless and until you see evidence (they're obvious, the segments look like little rice grains that will collect in the pet's bedding), deworming isn't necessary. Fleas can transmit other diseases, but nothing that would be affected by a dewormer.

TashaG

Community Member
Registered
The main parasite transmitted by fleas is tapeworm. Unless and until you see evidence (they're obvious, the segments look like little rice grains that will collect in the pet's bedding), deworming isn't necessary. Fleas can transmit other diseases, but nothing that would be affected by a dewormer.
Great Thank you!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
And I totally agree. Even if you do see the segments, since they usually do not cause a lot of harm, you can try the flower essence Para-outta-site that Dr. Hofve developed.

As for fleas, when you find just a few, no need to go overboard unless that feels more comfortable for you. Do record it in the journal, as knowing when you have seen fleas can be a clue to internal imbalance - certainly not with Buddy who seems to be glowing with health.

My 12 year old cat who had never had more than one flea in his life was totally covered with flea dirt one day! Embarrassed that I had not noted anything earlier, I assumed he got into a fox den to be so covered. I flea combed him (outside), then twice a day for a week. After 3 days I saw no more fleas.

Once I picked up a stray dog late at night. In the AM I saw she was loaded with fleas and had been in my hallway all night. I set up a flea trap in my office and as the days went on...10 fleas..5...3...2..2..0 and I never saw one on me or my cats.

Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom