• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

When to Change Remedy?

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi! Toshia was on Phosphorus but her healing seem to plateau. She was changed to Arsenicum q1 10/1 qtip on 7/10/20. She received dose on 7/10 @ 2pm and 7/11@ 1130am.

7/10: slight decrease in energy and worsening of poops -we kind of attributed this to a stressful morning with vet visits. Her appetite was markedly decreased (she was tired during her typical eating time too)

7/11: energy-walking is about the same (slightly improved) but her energy at home was lower -mostly resting, not doing any playful things (like den scratching). Her energy seem to drop off as the day went on (we went to the playground and she sat in the shade but it was hot out, possibly heat wore her out?..she was enjoying her time, head up/smelling the air/watching), and during her typical eating time she seemed tired and her appetite was VERY LOW.
-of note, we did syringe feed her some food earlier in the day so I am not sure if that through her eating off? And most of the syringed food -started with syringing for 1-2ml then she would lick the rest off a towel or my finger (so she was eating after getting started) but previous days she would start eating on her own vs being started with a syringe. We just started syringing some food on 7/10.

Poops: none today -so improved.

After receiving 2 doses of a remedy and the main difference we have seen is a decrease in appetite -would this be a sign that this is not the right remedy and we should stop giving? Would you stop giving and see how she responds or would you move to a new remedy right away? Or do we continue this remedy?

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
A bit of context for everyone, the pup that Nova is wondering about has a weak vitality and energy.

We know that is weak based on symptoms like her dysrexia (abnormal appetite) moderate-severe anemia, kidney dis-ease, decreased stamina, etc.

In uncertain situations like this, "less is more" and it's usually safest to paws dosing.

It may be too early for her weak vital force to respond to the doses.

The best action now is to just monitor for a day or two.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Perfect Nova. Please update us tomorrow.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello again! Toshi is now on calcerea q1 10/1 qtip. She received 1 dose on 7/14 @ 11pm. Her energy has been good/about same. She did eat a little this morning but I haven't noticed her drink water since last night. I might have missed her drinking water but by now she would typically drink a few times.

I offered her some coconut water, fresh spring water in new bowl and broth but not interested. Should I give her more time or should I syringe or give some SQ fluids?

We just went for a stroller walk and we sat in park for a little -head up watching and smelling air.

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Nova-

Although it is not urgent that she do so, it would be a good idea for her to start drinking again.

Have you tried any of the goat's milk? How about trying warmed or cold water?

Her thirstless may be part of her body's attempt to re-balance.

If she's not taken any fluids by mouth by dinnertime, then yes, it's a splendid idea to syringe some in (~10ml x 3).

Ordinarily, thirstless is not a problem, but considering her kidney function, drinking is important.

When is she due for her next Calc dose? Any other symptom changes?

BTW-The thirstlessness itself may be an important symptom for us to use.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff!!

She just ate a little cream and then drank some water!! It is helpful to know about the water drinking. If I was at work and didn't notice she wasn't drinking that it is okay to wait until evening to give water.

Overall, so far today, she seems about the same to me. Except for not drinking all morning.

I am not sure when her next calcerea is due. Our plan was to dose last night if not improved. I am thinking we would give another dose tonight? I will submit update now.

Behavior: lots of smelling in air outside and around the ground. Licked the cement outside my condo.

Energy: walked 3 blocks this morning. And in stroller/car -head up looking around. Ran from car to condo. Just took out for walk and she ran back from gate.

I have noticed over last week, Tmama seems more aware in am -she is sleeping but will watch me, wake up when I move around vs in evening her sleep is deeper.

Appetite: seems the same as yesterday. Sometimes when I put something on her nose or force a teeny bit of something in her mouth she will start to eat (not always).

Mood: sniffed at toys, twitching for rubs, scratching in den, asked for ear rubs.

She had a perfect poop last night and a really good/great log this morning. Loud gurgly belly ~30mins after eating a little beef and cream this morning.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Nova.

Yes, it sounds like another dose of Calc. is indicated.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello! Toshi has since been changed to Lachesis q1. She did great (better appetite and improved poops after first dose). Then the following day her poop worsened again. We gave 2nd dose and the morning after she still had loose poops. Dr Jeff said to monitor poops and if they improve that day to redose the next day. Her poops did improve! Sat PM really great poop and Sunday AM: perfect ?.

We gave her Lach q1 10/1 qtip on Saturday 7/25 at 8pm (this is her 3rd dose).

She had a perfect poop this AM, her energy seems about the same but her appetite is down. She is smelling around at food but only ate a few things on her own.

The last week or so, she has been licking the sidewalk at least twice a day, licking my back patio at least once a day and started eating dirt out of pansy plant (today she ripped the plant out and was tearing it apart). She had been licking a rug but that decreased today. She has also been reading up paper towels.

Yesterday she tore up a book jacket and then gnawed on the book itself. It was a repertory....so may have been trying to figure out her remedy plan :)

Her eating dirt and tearing up books and paper towels -she has done in the past but not so regularly.

I am unsure if I should give her a dose today? I think the plan was daily prn but it looks like: energy same, poops improved, appetite down...??

Any input would be wonderful!!

Thank you!

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Nova!

Wonderful news about her poops, but she also needs to get hungrier.

Perhaps hold off on dosing tonight and if she is not better tomorrow, then dose again.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello!! Thank you Dr Jeff!! I just gave the remedy a minute ago :). But I will use the strategy tomorrow! ?

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom