• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

When and whether to re-dose a homeopathic medicine

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

A frequent question I am asked is whether to redose the homeopathic medicine that is being used to treat some health challenge.

The answer partially depends on whether you are working with a vet homeopath as the practitioner may not want you to redose until you contact them.

However, if you have given a remedy on your own or are a client of someone who is "on board" with redosing when needed, there are two questions that can help you decide:

1. Does your pet seem better or worse since you dosed?

2. Are there any symptoms that were not present before the dose?

If there was no perceptible response, and there are no new symptoms, then go ahead and redose.

If there was a response, did your pet improve after the dose but now is worse again in the same way as prior to the dose?

If so, redose.

If there are new symptoms after the initial dose, then a different homeopathic medicine is needed. It is very important to use these new symptoms when choosing the new homeopathic medicine.

If you are working with a professional practitioner of homeopathy, then it's wise to contact them prior to giving a new remedy.

For example, Rosie developed vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness, and drinking a lot after eating something outside.

Her guardian dosed Arsenicum album which seemed to help, but then Rosie started going off to be by herself.

She then also had more diarrhea and retched (but didn't vomit).

Based on the new symptom of going off to be on her own, Rosie's mom switched to Nux vomica.

The vomiting, diarrhea and isolating all resolved.

Please let me know if I can clarify this process for anyone.

Dr. Jeff

Last edited:

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you for this information Dr Jeff!! I had a question about olfaction dose. If I were to give arsenicum q1 20/2 qtip typically but want to give via smelling. Would I just let her smell the bottle of arsenicum q1 ? Or so I make the dose as above and let her smell it.

I tried it w Tater Tots and I was doing it as making the dose and having her smell the jar that had the dose dilutes and made up. Just wondering if I did that wrong...

Thank you!
Nova

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Smelling the jar after succussing it, is fine!

If you have a chance, please describe to others when and why TT is sniffing the remedy instead of your making it up and administering it orally.

Dr. Jeff

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Smelling the jar after succussing it, is fine!

If you have a chance, please describe to others when and why TT is sniffing the remedy instead of your making it up and administering it orally.

Dr. Jeff
@Dr. Jeff -- In the example above with Rosie, could you please add some time descriptors to her case?

How soon after dosing did the Arsenicum seem to help? When did she start going off to be by herself?

How long between the initial dose of Arsenicum and Nux dose?

It's that old waiting and watching question!!!

Thanks,
Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hiya Kristen-

Fantastic and very important questions!

In this case, it was about 12 hours after the Ars that Nux was given.

Based on the Prominence and Persistence of the new symptom.

Significant new symptoms that start after a homeopathic medicine can be an awesome clue to a new remedy!

The 4 Ps are an easy way to decide how significant this (or any) new symptom) is.

They are:
  1. Persistent
  2. Prominent
  3. Problematic
  4. Peculiar
An example of their use in this case would be if Rosie, very uncharacteristically, went off to be on her own for a while then rejoined the family.

Not very persistent.

Compared to remaining isolated all night.

Even though the vomiting and diarrhea stopped.

The new persistent symptom becomes the "guide" to the new remedy.

I guess the answer "depends", and the 4 Ps help give context.

Does that help?

Please ask any other questions.

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom