• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Weight Loss Despite a Voracious Appetite in a Dog

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Here's another of the older forum posts:

Question: Dog has started exhibiting voracious appetite, but went from 6 lbs to 5 lbs and feels like he has no muscle mass. He acts like he is starving constantly but eats well. He has a history of bladder stones and has been eating Hills U/D exclusively for 2 years. No increase in water consumption or urination noted. He is bright and alert, has good haircoat and is not lethargic. CBC/Chem were normal, T4 came back low so vet ran thyroid screen and said it was low. Started on 0.1 mg Soloxine BID yesterday. Previous meds taken (not taking now) Theodur and Dexamethasone for itchy skin. My question is that my dog exhibits none of the classic hypothyroid symptoms like Obesity, lethargy, poor hair coat, in fact is quite opposite, having lost weight, and is not lethargic. His skin and coat are fine with the exception of allergy-type symptoms and itchiness. Is it possible that he is NOT hyperthyroid and there is something else going on to give a low thyroid reading? Other signi! figant history: chronic valvular disease (compensated, diagnosed 2/95) Fecal neg, U/A showed traces of blood. Currently taking 62.5 mg Clavamox BID

Sex: Male Neutered

username: Ginh56@aol.com

Pet: Canine

Breed: Chihuahua X Pug

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three things of which I would be suspicious causing weight loss despite a voracious appetite (with normal bloodwork) are:

1. a dietary imbalance related to the prolonged use of u/d

2. cardiac cachexia due to chronic valvular disease

3.infiltrative disease causing either poor absorption, or poor utilization of the food.

I would consider gradually switching to a higher quality diet, and having x-rays taken to rule out other internal disorders. I will comment further on hypothyroidism if you can tell me the results of the free t4 and TSH tests. You are right though, he is not manifesting any classic signs of hypothyroidism,and the thyroid supplementation maybe unnecessary. Another empiric change you should consider is adding a digestive enzyme to his food to increase nutrient utilization.

Nicci

VIP Member
Registered
Here's another of the older forum posts:

Question: Dog has started exhibiting voracious appetite, but went from 6 lbs to 5 lbs and feels like he has no muscle mass. He acts like he is starving constantly but eats well. He has a history of bladder stones and has been eating Hills U/D exclusively for 2 years. No increase in water consumption or urination noted. He is bright and alert, has good haircoat and is not lethargic. CBC/Chem were normal, T4 came back low so vet ran thyroid screen and said it was low. Started on 0.1 mg Soloxine BID yesterday. Previous meds taken (not taking now) Theodur and Dexamethasone for itchy skin. My question is that my dog exhibits none of the classic hypothyroid symptoms like Obesity, lethargy, poor hair coat, in fact is quite opposite, having lost weight, and is not lethargic. His skin and coat are fine with the exception of allergy-type symptoms and itchiness. Is it possible that he is NOT hyperthyroid and there is something else going on to give a low thyroid reading? Other signi! figant history: chronic valvular disease (compensated, diagnosed 2/95) Fecal neg, U/A showed traces of blood. Currently taking 62.5 mg Clavamox BID

Sex: Male Neutered

username: Ginh56@aol.com

Pet: Canine

Breed: Chihuahua X Pug

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The three things of which I would be suspicious causing weight loss despite a voracious appetite (with normal bloodwork) are:

1. a dietary imbalance related to the prolonged use of u/d

2. cardiac cachexia due to chronic valvular disease

3.infiltrative disease causing either poor absorption, or poor utilization of the food.

I would consider gradually switching to a higher quality diet, and having x-rays taken to rule out other internal disorders. I will comment further on hypothyroidism if you can tell me the results of the free t4 and TSH tests. You are right though, he is not manifesting any classic signs of hypothyroidism,and the thyroid supplementation maybe unnecessary. Another empiric change you should consider is adding a digestive enzyme to his food to increase nutrient utilization.

This is an interesting post that I'm sure puts "the big picture" into perspective for many. *Most* prescription diets are actually not adequate for long term feeding! - meant to treat the immediate problem, and not appropriate as a "long term" solution! Often I do see cats and dogs with fluctuating weight issues, skin/coat, digestive issues etc. as a result. Implementing a diet with a greater vitality will likely make all the difference here as long as the weight loss is a result of being fed the u/d for so long - we see it all the time!

Dr. Jeff mentioned the use of a digestive enzyme and I believe that really can't be overstated - most pets (and people!) can benefit from digestive enzymes and quality probiotics, especially when they eat (or have eaten) a primarily processed food diet!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Nicci!

E

eileenthoma

What are your thoughts about rather consistent use of probiotics and digestive enzymes when feeding a raw diet? I add them several times a week when things are going smoothly and may increase them when there are bowel changes, like looser stools. (This would include fermented goats milk).

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Eileen, that is perfect. The only supplements I would think of for long term health, even on a raw food diet, would be something green - seaweed, kelp, blue green algae, spirulena, etc - to provide some of the nutrients that may be missing from the soils. Bill Wolf will be speaking Monday April 8 on seaweed benefits. Omega 3s can also be useful long term.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom