• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

UTI canine

SheriS

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello Holistic Actions Brain Trust,
Our fifteen yr old female Havanese (Fibi) is showing early signs of a uti by squatting frequently. Ony a drop or two of urine is produced.
She gets D-Manos daily in her meals. We're steeping some corn silk in water now but don't know what concentration to give her and how much.
We have cranberry extract too but don't know how much to give her. She weighs 10#.
Any recommendations are welcome.

With Gratitude,
Sheri & David

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Sheri!

I'm sorry to hear about Fibi's frequent squatting with minimal urine production.

Is she also urinating normal amounts?

Does she drink structured water or get any celery juice (which is like structured water ++)?

The cranberry dose depends on. the brand, so just follow label directions. For the Cranberry RX I use in my practice we give 1/2- capsule/day.

Micro-C from Vimergy (vit C + grape seed extract) can also be helpful as can just about any source of vit C.

There are lots of HA! UTI resources in your member area.

It's also a good idea to have your vet run a urinalysis.

SheriS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you Dr. Jeff for your quick reply. It is truly a blessing having HA! support. I have 4 questions---

1. This kind of thing comes on fast with Fibi. We gave her coconut water...is this considered structured?
Yes. She has urinated as well.
She had a lot actually, only because I have a way of enticing her with a little meat in a small enough bowl to spoon-feed her. Otherwise, she is too destressed to focus on anything but squatting and crying. I thought flushing her system would help.
2. I had given her mango and pineapple. Maybe it was too much. I'm wondering...could this cause UTI symptoms?

We gave her vit C and cranberry (eyeballing the dose based on our human brand).

We have taken her to the emergency room (45 min away and where the wait is two + hrs)...
3. Wondering how we can avoid this from happening at night (which it always does)?

They are giving her an antibiotic to relieve her of discomfort. Plus she had a little blood spotting.
4.What can we do to negate the drug effects besides probiotics (which she already gets every day)?

She is currently using homeopathy. A new remedy was recommended just today, but not for a UTI, but rather leaking, skin eruptions, and waking us at 5am-ish to eat.

I can not read much at all (you may recall) or I would educate myself on this topic much more. Instead, I need to rely on professionals to tell me the best approach for most of Fibi's needs.

As always, we are in deep gratitude to you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
It's a pleasure and humbling honor Sheri to be able to help in any way.😊 So thank you so much!!😍

is this considered structured?
Yes.

could this cause UTI symptoms?
Great question! The answer depends on her individual sensitivity to these (or any other) influence. Usually, no (both mango, pineapple, blueberries, etc. can help reduce symptoms of UTI).

Wondering how we can avoid this from happening at night
You're already doing it (working with her body and nature instead of against them). Sometimes based on response to the homeopathic medicine being used for deep healing, there may a "complementary" remedy that can be used for emergency situations.
What can we do to negate the drug effects
The same answer! Also, if you can get any of AW's Detox Smoothie (or even just a wild blueberry + organic kale smoothie) or celery juice into her, these can also help support her body along with the probiotics and homeopathy.

SheriS

All-Access Member
Registered
Many thanks for this Dr. Jeff.
We have Vimergy caps (also Lipo Naturals, Liposomal C liquid). How much would you say per cap...or with the liquid C? She's 10pds currently.
How much kale and blueberry for the smoothie?
What frequency for all of this?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Sheri!

Sorry, I only know the Vimergy Micro-C (not liposomal). In general tho with vitamin C it's best to start low and work up based on bowel tolerance.

Start 1/8 cup twice a day and work up based on how much she likes it and her stools.

SheriS

All-Access Member
Registered
YW Sheri!

Sorry, I only know the Vimergy Micro-C (not liposomal). In general tho with vitamin C it's best to start low and work up based on bowel tolerance.

Start 1/8 cup twice a day and work up based on how much she likes it and her stools.

Thanks. So if I open a capsule, would a 1/4 be too much to start?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Perhaps just 1 pinch to start. 1/4 cap (or even more) is a good dose to work up to if her bowels are OK.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom