• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Urine retention in cat

JeanW

All-Access Member
Registered
Issac is a male cat, at least 5 or 6 years old with a history of kidney stones, kidney failure, and a necrotic bladder (January 2018). He was having trouble urinating today so I took him in to be checked. He has a UTI, moderate crystals in his bladder, blood in his urine +, protein in his urine ++, no bilirubin, PH is neutral, white blood count elevated ++++, no fever. He was leaking some urine and his bladder was a bit hard. SG strip 1.040
The vet suggested steroids and a flush tomorrow. I have given him two doses of Nat. Mur 6x this evening, because it has helped in the past.
Should I go ahead with the steroids when they do the flush tomorrow or is there an alternative?
He is still eating ok, he was pleasant this morning, not grumpy or lethargic, he was actually more loving today.
Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jean-

What a great question for your first post!

You are asking whether anti-inflammatory steroids like prednisone are indicated for Isaac at this time.

It depends on what you mean by necrotic bladder?

Conventionally, steroids might be used for this.

They might also be indicated if there is excessive swelling or irritation of his urethra (which is the tube running from his bladder down his penis to the outside).

Otherwise no, they are not medically indicated for UTIS or kidney problems.

BTW-his urine SG of 1.040 makes it unlikely that he has kidney dis-ease. He may have had acute uremia associated with blockage which quickly returns to normal when IV fluids are given.

In fact, the IVs alone and gentle support by your vet may be all he needs depending on the state of his bladder.

Also, you may want to reconsider the Nat mur.

Of you are working with a vet homeopath, did you discuss the awesome clue of being "more loving"?

This is an important symptom shift that may indicate the need for a different remedy.

JeanW

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff,

Thank you for your help. My vet is not a homeopath, but she is open to what I am doing. I am going to give him Berberis this morning. I am also considering Lycopodium and Sarsaparilla.

Jean

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Have you read Pulsatilla for Isaac?

JeanW

All-Access Member
Registered
I have considered Pulsatillla for Issac, but I went with Nat Mur because the last two times he's shown symptoms was right after another house mate cat had passed away. I also have a tendency to default to organ remedies because I don't trust my ability to pick the best rubrics for animals:(
I will try Pulsatilla this week.
Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Jean, if you focus on BEAM, and objective symptoms along with modalities you will be guided in the right direction every time.

The describing symptoms and understanding dis-eases classes and Dr. Wendy's webinar on modalities might be very helpful.

You can find them both archived in your member library over at the main site.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom