• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Underwight Rescue Horses

LaurenHW

Community Member
Pet Professional
Registered
My friend is Rescuing 2 Horses(20 & 23 yrs old) that are noticeably underweight. So hungry they were eating Horse Poop...I know this can be that they also may need the bacteria for gut. ?? Bones are sticking out: Ribs and spine protruding.
What is the best way to put weight on them and what kind of food? Alfalfa, Grains, Oats, Hay? I'm helping with the Horses doing Animal Communication and Kloud PEMF Sessions. I'm trying to help and to learn as I want my own Horse and maybe Rescue one day.

Another Horse owner said to feed: Bran Mash, Sweet Feed and Free Choice Hay and to feed 5 times a day.

Also, wondering if we need to Blanket them, but know that once one starts to Blanket the Horse cannot self regulate temperature. I have been taught that Horses can be fed 5 times a day in freezing temperatures and that regulates their temperature. Is this a better choice to feed more often?

I'm also in touch with the CA Dog Rescue the has a new Rescue Dog severely underweight. Was chained to a Tree for years and finally rescued. Poor lil guy. He is 6 yr old Rodisian Ridgeback. She is giving him Satin Balls. What else can she feed him. I know grains are not good for Dogs, so what do you feed to put on weight? More Raw Meat?

Thank you for the help with bringing these precious beings back to a healthy weight in a healthy way.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Lots online from horse rescue operations. Most seem to feed mostly alfalfa hay, and many times daily. Many also just turn them loose to forage.
Dogs, I should think, need the same lovely prototypical diet as any - no damned satin balls:(. Small, frequent meals of real meat, bones, probiotics, good fats - fish oil, grassfed meat fat, perhaps mackerel, sardines. But mostly, love - lots of cuddles or just visiting, if the dog is shy. Sweet, soft touches, all over. Read him stories:) Take him on little walks - with a soft harness, never ever again a chain or leash. Gradually move to once or at most twice a day feeding. Contact and love are more important than diet, but she might as well do it right. Bless you both!

PatriciaG

All-Access Member
Registered
My friend is Rescuing 2 Horses(20 & 23 yrs old) that are noticeably underweight. So hungry they were eating Horse Poop...I know this can be that they also may need the bacteria for gut. ?? Bones are sticking out: Ribs and spine protruding.
What is the best way to put weight on them and what kind of food? Alfalfa, Grains, Oats, Hay? I'm helping with the Horses doing Animal Communication and Kloud PEMF Sessions. I'm trying to help and to learn as I want my own Horse and maybe Rescue one day.

Another Horse owner said to feed: Bran Mash, Sweet Feed and Free Choice Hay and to feed 5 times a day.

Also, wondering if we need to Blanket them, but know that once one starts to Blanket the Horse cannot self regulate temperature. I have been taught that Horses can be fed 5 times a day in freezing temperatures and that regulates their temperature. Is this a better choice to feed more often?

I'm also in touch with the CA Dog Rescue the has a new Rescue Dog severely underweight. Was chained to a Tree for years and finally rescued. Poor lil guy. He is 6 yr old Rodisian Ridgeback. She is giving him Satin Balls. What else can she feed him. I know grains are not good for Dogs, so what do you feed to put on weight? More Raw Meat?

Thank you for the help with bringing these precious beings back to a healthy weight in a healthy way.
Hi Lauren, I've had horses for 60+ years. I am also a retired CranialSacral Therapist and Animal Communicator.
In addition to the best quality hay you can afford, offered free choice, the best thing I know to put weight on underweight horses is steamed, flaked barley. You should be able to get it at your local feed store.
Chaffe Haye ( a bagged, fermented alfalfa product) is also useful. I feed my guys a chopped Timothy/Alfalfa blend, Chaffe Haye and steamed flaked barley 3 times a day. Portions are adjusted for size and age. In Breakfast and Dinner they get a variety of supplements.
My horses have free choice hay all day and night served in Hay Pillows - which are exactly what they sounds like - a canvas pillow with a mesh top. They pull the hay thru the mesh so it's like grazing. And it keeps the hay clean. We have saved 20% in hay costs since using Hay Pillows - designed and made in CA.
I recommend FoxdenEquine for supplements- Melanie Worth the founder - is a nutritionist and all the supplement formulas are hers. They are based in VA.
Where are the horses living ? - you asked about blankets... I live in NC and regularly blanket my horses. I think helping them to keep a regular body temperature despite the weather makes a huge difference to their overall health. It was 23 here last night and all my guys had blankets on which i replaced with lightweight sheets as the day warmed up.
How old are the horses? How big are they?

Hope this gives you some ideas. I'm here and a happy to help.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for sharing your super helpful experiences Patty! And thanks as well for introducing me to Chaffe Haye.

I hope you have a terrific Thanks-giving Thursday.

PatriciaG

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks so much for sharing your super helpful experiences Patty! And thanks as well for introducing me to Chaffe Haye.

I hope you have a terrific Thanks-giving Thursday.
My pleasure!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Dr.Jeff.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom