• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Uncomfortable and shifting positions

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi, Abby is our 12 year old German Shephard/Lab rescue. She was diagnosed with histiocytosis in 2017 and has been on Atopica pretty much since then. She has been great, no reoccurrences. She typically has a lot energy when we go outside, especially now with the snow, she has been extremely happy. She does sleep a lot during the day when we're in the house, sometimes on the bed, some times in her crate, she moves around a lot. Abby is on a fresh food, slightly cooked diet. I cook her protein because of the atopica. She ate all of her breakfast this morning as she normally does. Over the past couple months, she has shown some discomfort, either difficulty sitting down, lying down, but not putting her head down, getting up and moving more often than usual. I noticed she seemed a little off yesterday, she was breathing with her mouth slightly open. This morning, in addition to that, she is crying while she is lying down, which is not normal. She is drooling out of one side of her mouth, which she never does. I checked her capillary refill and everything looks normal. I wasn't sure if it could be arthritis? I don't know if something more is happening. I checked the Awesome A's because I was wondering if I should give her some arnica, but then I saw arsenicum and I wasn't sure if that would be a better choice for her. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
I just snapped these photos, hopefully they come through ok. You can see how her mouth is slightly open.

1FCAF243-C561-4668-8ACD-EB39220F7532.jpeg

33EEF9D5-4459-41B3-9C64-6517B2D6B2DC.jpeg

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
One more update, I asked her if she wanted to go for a walk and she jumped up immediately and we went for a walk. I let her sniff, she walked at her normal pace, she seemed completely fine. Once we got home, she waited for her treat, then she got on the bed and assumed the same position, keeping her head up and breathing through her mouth. I'm not sure what exactly is going on and maybe I shouldn't be concerned, but this is maybe the third time in about 5 months that this has happened.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm sorry to hear about Abby's health challenges, Lisa. :confused:

Yes, these symptoms could be arthritic-related.

And yes, you should try a dose or two of the highest potency Arnica you have on hand.

I'd also advise a vet visit to rule out issue in addition to arthritis. Then with all of the data in hand, you can mindfully decide what to do.

LisaP

All-Access Member
Registered
I dosed Abby with arnica at 6:10. Within a few minutes, she laid her head down, her breathing went back to normal and she was able to fall asleep. When she heard her sisters in the kitchen eating yogurt, she got up and came into the kitchen for her share. She is now lying in her crate, one of her favorite places to be and she's sleeping peacefully in her usual position. I'm not sure what that means, but I am so happy to see her relaxed again. Thank you Dr. Feinman! I'll keep an eye on her and call the vet for an exam.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Lisa.

Wow, sounds like a wonderful response to Arnica so now just wait and watch (succuss 10x and redose if she worsens)!

I'm so glad that she feels better. :snowman: :snowman::snowman:

The healing power of the body never ceases to amaze me.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic Lisa, and thank you @beccak for the awe-some support!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom