• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Two-week quarantine for a foster dog?

RachelC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello,

I would like to foster a dog from an overcrowded city shelter, but the shelter has a mandatory policy of separating the foster dog from any resident dogs for two weeks. They say this is to prevent the foster dog from transferring any illnesses to the resident dog, and also to help the dogs get used to each other's presence.

While this makes sense, I live in a small apartment and am concerned that separating the dogs for two weeks will be difficult, and I know it will also cause my resident dog stress to be held back from interacting. According to the shelter's mandate, the dogs should not even be allowed to sniff each other through a fence or on a walk. The fear is, in particular, the possibility of spreading CIRDC.

I want to protect my resident dog from any illness, but realistically I'm not sure I will be able to keep them fully separate. I think a way to get around this would be to do a foster takeover instead, so that the foster dog is not coming directly from the shelter, but there are many more dogs that need to be moved from the shelter situation. I would appreciate any and all advice!

Thank you,

Rachel

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I would appreciate any and all advice!
Hey Rachel-

Thank you for wanting to foster a pup from this overcrowded shelter.

Are daily visits to the shelter by you a possibility? If they are, this would be another way for you to improve the dog's quality of life by your walking, playing with and sharing love and quality time. Without creating stress for your dog.

RachelC

All-Access Member
Registered
Hey Rachel-

Thank you for wanting to foster a pup from this overcrowded shelter.

Are daily visits to the shelter by you a possibility? If they are, this would be another way for you to improve the dog's quality of life by your walking, playing with and sharing love and quality time. Without creating stress for your dog.
Thank you, Dr. Jeff! I agree that this would be a good alternative way to improve their quality of life without causing stress to my dog. This shelter is a little too far away for me to visit often, but I could volunteer at a shelter closer by. The reason I was more focused on this specific shelter is because it is a high kill shelter, and it's so hard to see the dogs that are euthanized due to lack of space and opportunity. I'm just not sure what is the best way to help.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
it is a high kill shelter, and it's so hard to see the dogs that are euthanized due to lack of space and opportunity.
You may want to see if they actively work with PetFinder or other organizations who save dogs in high kill shelters.

When I was their holistic medical director, OWAR did that (I don't know if they still do) and others do the same:

RachelC

All-Access Member
Registered
You may want to see if they actively work with PetFinder or other organizations who save dogs in high kill shelters.

When I was their holistic medical director, OWAR did that (I don't know if they still do) and others do the same:

I will look into this. Thank you, Dr. Jeff!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom