• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

To Give or Not to Give...That is the ???

E

eileenthoma

I have traditionally fed my dogs a varied raw diet, that includes predominantly raw meat, organ meat and bone, and have added Standard Process supplements, along with probiotics or Answer's Goat milk and digestive enzymes. Because my Tessa had severe skin problems when I got her (from over vaccination) and yeast, I have used vegetables occasionally rather than consistently. Recently I became aware that where I get some of my protein may not be from the cleanest source (although I had checked on this previously). So I am no longer giving any food from this supplier and it appears that much of what is now available from a different suppliers has many vegetables to make it complete. I have another dog with difficult skin problems and am concerned that I may be lowering the threshold (even beyond what she has been dealing with) by introducing vegetables that she may be allergic to. I feel I must keep this in mind at this point, but wondering if that is a reasonable concern? Someone suggested testing for what she may be allergic to for vegetables, but I think that may be overkill. I presently try to rotate protein types and keep away from those that seem to cause most allergies....but would love some thoughts and guidance. Thanking you in advance.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Eileen-

Which raw meat supplier are you concerned about, and why (email me privately if you'd prefer not to share this info. publicly--yet)?

As per our discussion with Dr. Dodds, food "allergy" testing via her Nutriscan can be very useful in this situation.

However, it is the protein "antigens" (all allergens act as antigens against which the body reacts) that can cause a problem. Things like pea and sweet potato protein.

Nutriscans do not test for that many vegetable proteins (only 3 or 4 I believe).

The gold standard therefore is to try the cleaner-sourced food and see how she does with it.

I will also separately post the complete Nutriscan paper which we can discuss during a Monday EH! (or on this forum).

Does this answer your question?

Dr. Jeff

E

eileenthoma

Yes, thank you! I think it does. I would like to find meat sources that contain only meat, organ and/or bone from animals other than chicken and beef.

I will look forward to discussing the pros and cons of Nutriscan testing.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Because of expense, there aren't too many commercially available pure meat diets using novel proteins.

Vital Essentials has a few. The raw meaty bone diet would be another.

<a href="http://www.reelraw.com" rel="noopener" target="_blank">Reel Raw</a> can be a good source. The coupon code Jeff15 used to give a 15% discount from them. I haven't tried it recently so let us know if you try it.

Dr. Jeff

tsharlo1

VIP Member
Registered
Eileen,
I purchase meat/bone products from Hare-Today and they do not have vegetables. Hare-Today has several different protein options. My Pet Carnivore is another good source. Because I have a dog with cancer I process my own vegetables and use only low glycemic vegetables.
Debbie

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks Debbie. Did anyone from Hare Today every verify that their sources are "clean"?

Personally, I've not yet been able to get this info. from them.

Exactly which veggies do you use?

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Eileen,
I am not totally clear.
Are you buying pre-made frozen foods, or buying the meat and making your own?
Have you researched local farms or farmer markets for meat that you can actually observe eating grass that they say is not sprayed with anything? As Dr. Dodds said in last week's Empower Hour, we have to question which is better - cattle eating grass sprayed with chemicals like glyphosate or cattle in a dry lot fed organic grain. Often patients I treated with skin problems (and remember it is good, if the vital force is out of balance, when it can produce skin problems!) had their best success with making their own from local farms.

As Dr. Jeff said, trying different foods and seeing how each dog responds is the best you can do.
Dr. Christina

E

eileenthoma

Thank you all for your helpful input. I apologize if my original post was not clear. I have used a variety of sources including frozen raw (meat/bone) from a local supplier of pet food and have used two separate local butchers along with purchasing meat and organ meats from a local farm. I am currently transitioning to Raw Organics for beef and may try chicken. As I recall a while back when I did an elimination diet, lamb was one. Would love to know if there are particular brands that folks know are clean and have used successfully. I had also done venison years ago, but don't have access currently.

Thank you for the gentle reminder about the vital force being out of balance Dr. Christina. While the large bumps on Remi's chest are thankfully not getting larger, we are seeing an increase in small pimple break outs along her trunk. Wondering if the seasonal changes have changed her threshold as I think we saw some increase with the warm weather that we had a while back? (I know at this point it is hard to remember) Would a simple supplement like Quercetin help, or not good as it will interfere with homeopathy? I have decided to try Skin Soother from Jason Galaxy again, although not noticeable results in the past. Maybe it is something that should be given consistently???

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Eileen,

When the vital force is balanced, you can probably feed any good foods.

Flower essences need to be given frequently, for at 2 weeks, maybe a month before giving up. Put a drop (straight or diluted), in a bowl of water (not the drinking water), in each meal, when you are petting put a few drops on your hands, on the bedding, etc. Think of the most ways you can infuse it into their lives!! You may want to try Skin Soothe from Green Hope Essences. Often using muscle testing, pendulums, or dowsing can be useful - any way to select a flower essence whose vibration is similar to the animal who needs it.

I think quercetin is fine with homeopathy.

E

eileenthoma

I will start the Jason Galaxy again, although I am fairly certain I had given it several weeks, but perhaps with not as much attention to everywhere in her environment. (bedding, etc.) I had been placing several drops on her back though, every day along with her water. I did also place in her drinking water however. Can you explain why it wouldn't go in her clean bowl of drinking water? Can it be put in a diffuser? I have one not in use.

If this product doesn't seem to bring results, I will try the Green Hope product. I have used them in the past and know they are also a good product. Calm and Sooth is also a product that I have used in the past with success. (Mainly essential oils) However, it seems to have lost its edge presently.

All suggestions appreciated...thank you!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
The reason for not putting anything in the drinking water is that some cats and dogs are very wise and know if they do not need what you put in the water. Then they will not drink the water that is necessary for their hydration.

Decades ago I learned this when a 16 year old cat with kidney trouble had been doing great. They started doing some renovations in the house and the cat got very anxious, so I suggested Rescue Remedy. Since the recommend dosing was 4 drops in a one ounce dropper bottle, I suggested 4 drops in the drinking water. The cat walked over and knocked over the bowl - she had never done anything like this in the past. The clever owner rinsed the bowl and put in 3 drops. Knocked over again. Then 2 drops. Stalked by and gave it a dirty look. 1 drop was magic - the cat drank that water until the remodeling was done, and the anxiety resolved.

Since flower essences are totally safe, it is fine to be creative with them, and as always, listen to your animals.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom