• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Thyroid issues

SheriS

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff, Our 14 yr old female Havanese (Fibi) has been on .1mg of Levothyroxine 2x/ day for several years, along with some adrenal desiccated supplement.
Her local vet ran a senior panel on her blood and reduced the levo by 50% based on a T-4 of 4.0.
Fibi has been especially lethargic and we're wondering if this was too much of a reduction. Should a full thyroid panel be used rather than just the T-4?
In 2020, her T-4 was 2.7, Free t-4 by ED (ng/dl), Free T-4 by ED (pmol/l).

Thanks for any insight!

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
The lethargy could be temporary - how long has it been going on and is it getting better or worse? Were there any other changes in the life other than the decrease in thyroid meds?

Even if you decide to do a full panel, and the values are low, you may want to try standard process supplements or other supplements before increasing dosages.

Very often a homeopathic veterinarian can get your dog completely rebalanced so no more drugs are needed for hypothyroidism.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Sheri-
Should a full thyroid panel be used rather than just the T-4?
t4 alone is enough initially for monitoring the Levothyroxine.

When did Fibi's dose get changed? Maybe call your vet to see what they say about her lethargy.

SheriS

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Christina and Dr. Jeff, It's been going on since Fib's thyroid med was reduced a few weeks ago. (Reminder she's 14 and a 9 pd. Havanese). Though she's been lethargic since the fall down the stairs.
The Vet does do some homeopathy, but maybe not as much as some others. She was put on thyroid meds several yrs ago along with Standard Process sups.
Question--- Are there homeopathic remedies that you would suggest? I could mention them to our Vet and see if she agrees...

BEAM update-
Fibi just is not interested in playing with her toys anymore and she seems "off" to us. A definite personality change has occurred. She does go for walks willingly, but I do give her a few treats bf, during and after. I think she'd prob go willingly most times w/o treats. I give them to be sure she won't put the breaks on.

She's obsessed with us when we're in the kitchen. A one-track mind with food. We're going to see about any additional adjustments we can make to her meals, as discussed. She loves the snuffle mat. Other treats excite her as well. Otherwise, she's laying down. She seems either very tired and depressed or just tired. It's hard to know for sure. Again, she can not hear well and she has changed cognitively since falling.
I wonder if I can expect much more...
Question--Am I wishing for a change that can not happen at this point?

Any other insights are welcomed. Because I have physical challenges, it has been frustrating to know there is a wealth of info I pay for every month, that I can not access easily. That's why I am more active here. So thank you for being here for Fibi and her humans!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Are there homeopathic remedies that you would suggest?
Probably. But homeopathic medicines need to be chosen based on the totality of all symptoms and events, throughout Fibi's life!

It's therefore not possible to properly prescribe a homeopathic medicine without a complete initial evaluation (often 2 or more hours!).

If you would like to add a certified vet homeopath to Fibi's vet care team, here are two excellent ones:

Am I wishing for a change that can not happen at this point?
No. Where there's life and vitality, there's always hope of recovery (which will be based on the complete context of her age, history, etc.)
Any other insights are welcomed.
Sure! Call one of the virtual consultant homeopaths above.

SheriS

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you very much Jeff. I've contacted the first one on the list.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
YW Sheri!

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom