• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

The Dysbiosis Index (Charlie)

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff -- Charlie had his vet appointment yesterday and we're now waiting for all of his routine lab results to come in.

His vet uses Antech so there was some pushback on getting the dysbiosis index. She said that Antech does a fecal culture that looks for 9 or 10 different bacteria but I couldn't find any specific documentation about it on their website.

Also, Charlie started retching Sunday night. I took a video of it. Then he did it again last night after coming down a set of steps around two hours after eating. I've added this to his list of symptoms although I'm hoping it doesn't continue. I might not wait so long to walk them after eating dinner to see if this makes any difference in anything.

Do you know anything about Antech's fecal culture in comparison to Texas A&M's?

Thanks!

Kristen

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How'd Charlie do at his vet visit?

Regarding the retching, has his BEAM also been off?

Yes, running a test that doesn't use the lab of the vet can be problematic for the vet. To make it easier for them, you might be able to order a mailer from Texas A&M directly so that you're vet only has to draw the blood and then mail it in.

Regarding the two different (totally different) tests Kristen, perhaps run the fecal culture first, and if you need to go further, then consider a dysbiosis test.

Texas A&M GI lab is a leader in this field, so maybe your vet would even be willing to consult with them directly:

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks @Dr. Jeff -- Charlie's BEAM might have dropped a little but it's back now with no more episodes that I've heard or seen. He varies where he rests now, sometimes with me, sometimes in a different room, sometimes on furniture, or sometimes in Kendi's crate or his x-pen. I think this is a good sign. He's not isolating all of the time.

Regarding his vet visit, test results are starting to come in. His thyroid is still borderline (0.8) but we're waiting for the free T4 results.

He has hookworms again. Tested positive for this in August 2020 (2+), treated then with Vermex and gets Vermex monthly since. Tested negative in September 2020. Now a 3+.

I read the article about drug-resistant hookworms, possibly resistant to three different treatments but not always, sometimes only one or two.

Thinking maybe I should try Panacur and then test him two weeks later? Also wondering if his never gaining any weight and his voracious appetite are related to the worms.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

Kristen

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom