• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Taurine, Cardiomyopathy, and "Broken Hearts"

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
There's a phenomenon in wildlife medicine called capture myopathy.

Wild animals can literally die from heart failure from stressors like fear. A direct mind-body connection,

This an excerpt about it from Capture Myopathy that discusses it and mentions susceptibility to the syndrome.

Capture myopathy is a disease complex associated with the capture or handling of any wild animal. The body’s reaction to abnormal states such as infection, injury, extreme temperature, or even fear is stress. Capture and restraining an injured or ill animal is extremely stressful. Stress can result in capture myopathy. Therefore anyone handling wild animals in any professional capacity has capture myopathy on their mind most of the time.

It’s a misnomer for it to be called capture myopathy in some ways, because the animal doesn’t have to be captured. It doesn’t even have to be chased if it’s a susceptible animal!

Susceptibility is key and is determined the physical and energetic individuality of the animal.

Susceptible wild animals can die just from being stared at!

This same dis-ease exists in people!

It's called takotsubo cardiomyopathy or "broken heart syndrome".

Emotional stressors like losing a loved one can trigger it.

Trigger, not cause. The cause is the damage to the myocytes (heart cells) resulting in dysfunction and cardiomyopathy.

Myopathy is a non-specific term and just refers to physiologic changes in a muscle.

In this case especially worrisome because the muscle is the heart muscle.

And some animals can be scared to death!

Cardiac abnormalities are reflected by biomarkers like enzymes which show problems with the muscle cells.

Sometimes these are measurable whenever the heart muscle isn't working correctly.

Such as in cardiomyopathy associated with taurine deficiency.

Which is partially a dis-ease of deficiency but mainly a susceptibility of the individual pet.

There's lots of other awe-some examples in the very readable book "Zoobiquity" co-written by an MD cardiologist.

Last edited:

Nicci

VIP Member
Registered
I was waiting for you to post this! Looking forward to reading more about this.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Sorry for the delay Nicci. I actually thought this was posted days ago but just found it sitting unfinished on my other computer.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom