• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Swollen (Yeasty?) Paws

AdrienneC

Community Member
Registered
Hello, my 3lb Yorkie and her two sisters had their first rabies shot about 2.5 years ago and haven’t had any since. They have had a multitude of side effects from it, the primary being chronic yeast overgrowth and a homeopathic vet identified the causation and started me on a detox regimen, which was helpful but I was inconsistent. Simultaneously, I was using Nzymes nutrition products to work on the yeast. This also showed positive results, but as they improve, I dropped off. This time, the girls got sick so I picked up treatment again. Everyone is improving, ESPECIALLY the BEAM, but for the first time ever, one girl has swollen paws. Other yeast symptoms are mostly gone, except for the rusty yeast stuff around the groin. So I’ve stuck with the programs hoping that it is part of the process, especially since BEAM improved. and She also started running again. So that sounds obvious. But her feet are becoming more swollen so I want to make sure I’m not dealing with two separate issues and/or there isn’t another product I can use that is safe and effective. Topically on the paws I’m using dermagic lotion and Nzymes ox-e water. I’m pretty sure the dermagic is working best. Orally I’m using ox-e water, Nzymes granules, and a herbal extract of olive leaf, chili and black walnut. am I doing the right thing? Can I do more? Thank you!!!421CA205-FB36-4B3A-A8A3-3823370CE81F.jpegE7FF59DC-6CDA-449D-9318-F2B97D2DDDC7.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, Adrienne, your girls are very lucky to have you doing so much for them!

Thanks so much for making your awe-some first post.

You are super wise to be focusing on their BEAM.

Improving BEAM symptoms, which reflect quality of life, are great clinical biomarkers that tell us that the paws (or any isolated symptom) will also improve. It just may take some time.

There is a direct relationship between their age, duration of symptoms, number of past treatments, and how long it will take for their allergies and yeasty paws to resolve.

Meaning that the older they are and the longer the symptoms have been addressed, the longer to expect for resolution of abnormal symptoms.

What do they eat?

Have they had any anti-biotics or other drugs for this or other health challenges?

Perhaps try soaking and massaging their paws in warm epsom salt solution. Add ~1 tsp of epsom salts to warm water that's in something they can stand in. Massage their feet for as long as they seem to like it (it should feel good).

Speaking of feeling good, now is the perfect time to start some fun games with the snuffle mat, doing lots of sniff walks together and otherwise practicing the Happiness Protocol:

One last thing is that you may want to start them all on the Mitomax probiotic.

AdrienneC

Community Member
Registered
Hello, my 3lb Yorkie and her two sisters had their first rabies shot about 2.5 years ago and haven’t had any since. They have had a multitude of side effects from it, the primary being chronic yeast overgrowth and a homeopathic vet identified the causation and started me on a detox regimen, which was helpful but I was inconsistent. Simultaneously, I was using Nzymes nutrition products to work on the yeast. This also showed positive results, but as they improve, I dropped off. This time, the girls got sick so I picked up treatment again. Everyone is improving, ESPECIALLY the BEAM, but for the first time ever, one girl has swollen paws. Other yeast symptoms are mostly gone, except for the rusty yeast stuff around the groin. So I’ve stuck with the programs hoping that it is part of the process, especially since BEAM improved. and She also started running again. So that sounds obvious. But her feet are becoming more swollen so I want to make sure I’m not dealing with two separate issues and/or there isn’t another product I can use that is safe and effective. Topically on the paws I’m using dermagic lotion and Nzymes ox-e water. I’m pretty sure the dermagic is working best. Orally I’m using ox-e water, Nzymes granules, and a herbal extract of olive leaf, chili and black walnut. am I doing the right thing? Can I do more? Thank you!!!421CA205-FB36-4B3A-A8A3-3823370CE81F.jpegE7FF59DC-6CDA-449D-9318-F2B97D2DDDC7.jpeg
Wow, Adrienne, your girls are very lucky to have you doing so much for them!

Thanks so much for making your awe-some first post.

You are super wise to be focusing on their BEAM.

Improving BEAM symptoms, which reflect quality of life, are great clinical biomarkers that tell us that the paws (or any isolated symptom) will also improve. It just may take some time.

There is a direct relationship between their age, duration of symptoms, number of past treatments, and how long it will take for their allergies and yeasty paws to resolve.

Meaning that the older they are and the longer the symptoms have been addressed, the longer to expect for resolution of abnormal symptoms.

What do they eat?

Have they had any anti-biotics or other drugs for this or other health challenges?

Perhaps try soaking and massaging their paws in warm epsom salt solution. Add ~1 tsp of epsom salts to warm water that's in something they can stand in. Massage their feet for as long as they seem to like it (it should feel good).

Speaking of feeling good, now is the perfect time to start some fun games with the snuffle mat, doing lots of sniff walks together and otherwise practicing the Happiness Protocol:

One last thing is that you may want to start them all on the Mitomax probiotic.
Dr. Jeff,

Thank you for all of that! I appreciate the quick and detailed response!
They eat all raw. I alternate between Primal Raw and the best quality frozen raw I can find. I actually buy from a local family who sources the best possible meat within Florida. I alternate with Primal and Steve’s raw because I want them to get fruits and vegetables. They definitely have more energy when I ensure they are getting fruits and vegetables. If I make it myself, they won’t eat it if I add fruits and vegetables. I must not get the ratio right for their taste. Actually, they don’t like the other stuff either, but they will eventually give in. The only thing they really like is organ meat and chicken drumsticks. The other stuff they like if it’s new to them, if they haven’t had it in a while. But they won’t eat consistently. So I dip the organ meat in the Nzymes granules and either Ruff Greens or another brand of greens (I alternate) and a probiotic I alternate. And then after they eat that I give them the pieces of raw meat on the bone. 3lbs, but they devour entire chicken legs and backs and duck heads. It’s pretty awesome.

That the best answer I’ve found but I’m still not really satisfied. I bought books on nutrition by multiple natural vets but I’ve had a hard time getting to it, even thought it’s a top priority. But that’s another issue. The point is that I’m open to any thoughts if I’m doing something wrong or could do more.

I will change the probiotic to Mitomax!

they have not had any other antibiotics recently.

MAYBE they had a round or two when they were 1 but I don’t remember. I think they prescribed it and I didn’t give it. Maybe I have it for 3 days and stopped because I felt it was wrong. That sounds familiar. I’m not sure. Worst case it was two times for a week two years ago.

as far as other health challenges, NeeNee broke her arm at 6 months and her toe at 9 months and while she LOVES to run fast and long, she is now often timid as if she knows how delicate she is. She doesn’t take jumping risks that other yorkies do.

also, they all caught a cold which I believe was upper respiratory, last June. Whatever it was, it seems to go away and come back, three times now. I don’t know if it is yeast related or triggered/immune stuff or if it was some type of virus, but two times it seems to have happened after they got loose and went rabbit hunting, during which they also got fleas. When they first got it, they became lethargic - oh they had canine flu symptoms and I don’t think they where around other dogs. But runny nose, not playful, slept a lot. I did a poor job off treating it so it lasted a while and sparkly, the largest and seemingly healthiest, never fully recovered. Her energy and beam did but she still has congestion quite often. The little two recovered fully as far as I could tell, but they got it this last time and still have congestion that i believe. Is upper but sometimes sounds chesty.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome Adrienne!

she is now often timid as if she knows how delicate she is. She doesn’t take jumping risks that other yorkies do.

When did that occur? Were her feet inflamed before that?

AdrienneC

Community Member
Registered
Her broken leg and toe were at 6 months and 9 months, respectively. She is now 3 years old.

she never had any trouble with her feet before this last month. I only noticed it for sure about a week ago. But I noticed she was slowing down a month ago. I thought it was from the respiratory issues or something else but I eventually realized it was her paws. Her yeast issues have been systemic since the beginning but they would come and go to varinf degrees Avery few months.

but none of them ever had swollen paws before this last month. And she is the only one who does now.

AdrienneC

Community Member
Registered
You're welcome Adrienne!

When did that occur? Were her feet inflamed before that?
Or did you mean the cold? I’m sorry, I’m not sure if I’m seeing this on my phone correctly. If you are asking about the cold, the first was June 2020. Then over the winter she was mostly fine but I think had a runny nose off and on and I thought it might be from the mold in my Moms basement but now I’m thinking maybe it was the same cold. Then it came back, or she got another one once we returned to Florida and we were on the beach and two of them went chasing rabbits in the sand dunes. That night one of them got a bad cold. Then a few days later it spread to the second and the third showed symptoms about a week later. So I would say that was about 1.5 months ago. No visual respiratory symptoms now but she runs at about 75% (feet or breathing? Probably both) and sounds a little congested. Maybe feels…when I pick her up I can feel it. I took her to “regular” vet in January to make sure that it wasn’t pneumonia and it wasn’t. But of course that was then. I intend to make an appointment with you as soon as possible, but I’m saving the money.

I just remembered that I was diffusing cedar wood oil that night when she started sneezing uncontrollably. She would go into reverse sneezes and all kinds of things. It was scary and we were up all night and I remember that it seemed to get better when I took her into another room without the cedar wood oil. But it didn’t go away. And it didn’t calm down for days. And in a way it is still there. But I didn’t get the feeling that it was the oil itself. Like the oil may have made her sneeze but she wasn’t sneezing up just oil, otherwise it would have not spread to the others. But who knows. Maybe they all got out of balance from it. I don’t know. But I do think the oil played a role in it.

Last edited:

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes,the diffused cedar can definitely trigger sneezing and other respiratory signs.

I understand that you saw a vet homeopath per what you wrote above. However you mention a detox protocol that you were inconsistent with but individualized energetic treatment doesn't typically use protocols.

Which homeopathic medicines has she received (and how often?)?

AdrienneC

Community Member
Registered
Dr. Dym prescribed this:

Phosphorus 1M for Sparkly Pearl; Arsenicum Album 200C for Haleakala;; Mercurius viv 1M for Little One Luau (this is NeeNee)

I completed this round of doses and then didn’t follow up.

right now I am using homeo pet cough for Haleakala and Nose for the other two. I’m supposed to be using it three times a day but I’m writing this I realize I’m lucky to do it once.

I’ll start three times again today.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom