• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Switching/Rotating (raw) Protein (brands)

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Hello Doctors, I've learned that it's best to rotate protein in diet (raw)...and @Dr. Jeff I read somewhere in your post that you feed your dogs a variety of foods...my question is, how often and how to transition from one (brand and/or protein) of raw food to another?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
It depends on the individual pet's sensitivity Christine.

Archie and Vanya do not need any transition and often get 2 different foods in 1 day.

Others who are more sensitive to diet changes related to the balance of their gut bacteria (microbiome) need 1-2 weeks of gradual transition.

Others may need even more time and this rubric applies:

RECTUM - DIARRHEA - indiscretion in eating, after the slightest: (36) aesc. Aloe Ant-c. arg-met. Ars. Asaf. brach. Bry. calc-p. Carb-v. Chin. cimic. Colch. fl-ac. Gamb. graph. guar. Iod. Ip. kali-chl. lyc. naja nat-m. nuph. Nux-v. Petr. Ph-ac. PHOS. Podo. Psor. ptel. PULS. rhus-t. sul-ac. Sulph. zing.

Many (most?) rubrics are incomplete so a remedy indicated for Koby may or may not be in this individual rubric.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
The best, I think, is to feed different proteins at each meal.

This is not always practical. I made a mixture for a month and froze it in small containers for my cats. Then I offered other foods some meals.

Think "what would my dog/cat eat in the wild?".
Think "what is seasonal right now and what am I eating?"

There is no one correct diet for dogs and cats as there is no one right diet for people. Variety does provide different vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and probably good bacteria.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom