• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Swelling and edema in golden retriever with osteosarcoma

adlibutti

Community Member
Registered
Hello all,
My 8 year old golden has osteosarcoma in her hock. She started with a small swelling on the inside of her joint at the site, but it has since grown very large and now her foot is swelling. I fear it is cutting off blood and nerve supply from compression. I changed her diet to all organic, some raw and added supplements about 3 weeks ago. Also working with Dr Jeff and homeopathy. Would love any suggestions to bring the swelling down - I'm trying everything and really do not want to amputate her leg, nor do I want to compromise it by allowing the swelling to continue to grow.
Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Andie-

The best ways to increase natural drainage of fluid from the swollen area is to promote blood flow.

You can do this with:

1. Warm moist compresses to increase circulation. You can make a compress by running a washcloth or small towel under hot-warm water and wringing it out, then gently wrap it around the swelling.

Make the compress as warm as she'll tolerate.

2. Gentle massage of the area

3. Promoting lymphatic drainage with gentle (even if passive) movement of the leg and exercise.

4. Also celery, parsley, cilantro and other healing veggies will help.

The keys are massage, movement and heat.

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
My pleasure Andie!

I'm very happy to hear that Abby is doing well after her surgery.

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom