• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Supplements and Diet for My Own Dog With Kidney Problems

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi everyone-

I recently did some "routine" senior screening for Vanya, my ~11 year young Standard Poodle rescue.

Unfortunately, the results showed early kidney dis-ease with a tentative diagnosis of Lyme Nephritis (even though I haven't found a tick for years).

Her natural healing mechanisms are being stimulated, without medications, using diet, supplementation and homeopathy.

Here are the supplements I am using along with her raw diet + a green stew that Amy makes with veggies like celery, broccoli and parsley in the Instantpot.kidney supplements.jpg

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I am sorry to hear that Vanya shows early kidney disease.
You are likely aware of the research showing that the traditional Chinese medicine combinations Rehmannia Six (for warm animals) and Rehmannia Eight (with additional warming herbs for chilly animals) increase recruitment of inactive nephrons and enhance kidney function.
Vanya may not need this, as homeopathy stimulates optimal function. It is another option, and worth mentioning for animals who do not respond sufficiently to homeopathy.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much Dr. Sara! Amy, I, and Vanya, appreciate this info.

Do you have any Rehmannia sources that you'd recommend?

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I generally get my TCM herbs from Crane Herb, as they have excellent quality control, and they allow health care providers to prescribe herbal combinations for direct delivery to the patient / client. I like Golden Flower, Kan, KPC, and Steve Marsden's Kan Essentials for Animals.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Excellent, thanks again.

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr. Sara and Dr. Jeff, How well would Rehmannia work for a cat with kidney disease? How do I know if she is chilly or warm? Is that a description of where she likes to sleep-on a warm surface or on a cool surface?

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Rehmannia Six and Eight are effective for cats with kidney disease. The herbs increase recruitment of nephrons (filtering units) to improve kidney function. I generally use the powder (1/4 tsp per 10 - 15 lbs, 1 to 3 times daily with food) with cats. It is ideal to work with an herbal practitioner to ensure that you are obtaining high quality products like those brands I reference, and that the dose is appropriate for your individual. Most cats need R8, as cats more often prefer to be in warm places, though I have had some cat patients for whom R6 was better.

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you, Dr. Sara! Crane Herbs has a formula from KPC called Ba Wei Di Huang Wan (5:1). It comes in 100 gram powder. Is this the product Rehmannia Eight? I'll contact my vet to see if she will place the order after I hear back from you. Also, should I be using a phosphorous binder? I see in the picture of supplements for Vanya that Pos-Bind is used with AminAvast and RxRenal. I was under the impression that AminAvast and RxRenal negated the need for a phosphorous binder. Please help me understand how to use all three together.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Ba Wei Di Huang Wan is Rehmannia Eight.
I don't use quite the same products as Dr. Jeff has pictured, so I defer to his discussion of phosphorus binders.

JoanD

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Sara, What supplements you like to use for kidney disease in cats? Anything instead of phosphorous binder?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question Joan! Are you trying to avoid aluminum hydroxide? Phosphorus binders can be very important since high phosphorus is toxic to the kidneys. To reduce your use of Phos Bind or other AlOH, use less of it but use it along with Epakitin.

novasimpson

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi Dr Jeff,

Do you give Vanya subcutaneous fluids? I was reading that SQ fluids are helpful even if the dog isn't dehydrated-to help flush the kidneys?

What are your thoughts? Wondering if something we should do for Toshi. She is getting fluids ~2-3weeks but give more at home?

Thanks!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, subcutaneous fluids at home can be super useful and supportive.

I have not been giving Vanya fluids at home frequently while I am trying to evaluate the effect of the homeopathic medicines and supplements.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom