• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Starting Raw Bones UK

TashaG

Community Member
Registered
We've been transitioning our 7 month sheltie to raw. We're just starting some raw meaty bones which we've frozen. I watched Dr Nick Thompson's videos and I want to check. Do we have to freeze all raw meat for 7 days or is that just raw meaty bones and do they need to be fully defrosted before giving them. Also, just to double check, if they get kind of dry, should we take them away and not let him eat them? I've heard that's when they could splinter? We have these dried buffalo tails that he LOVES but they have a bone that is obviously going to be kind of dried out.

Also, we're in UK south west, so if anyone from UK has any great raw suppliers, especially free range / grass fed / org / wild or just great quality, please lmk. (We can't get freeze dried hearts of any kind, that Dr Jeff recommended us - so any suggestions on that too would be great.)

TIA for any advice and reassurance!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Tasha-

Regarding freezing any meat, I'd say that it depends on your goal. It may kill some (probably not all) bacteria but you typically don't need to worry much about bacteria from meat (or bones) in a well balanced young pup like Buddy.

Yes, old dry bones should be discarded.

I don't know about the buffalo treat you mention. But @GinnyW might.

I bet you could find a local meat/heart supplier from the Raw Feeding Vet Society which is based in the UK (and which Dr. Nick started). Also, @Dr. Sara may know.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
You have not much reason to be concerned about bacteria in any meats; dogs have powerful enzymes which can deal with them. For that reason, I would not insist on meals having been frozen at all. As far as buffalo tails, I had no idea there was such a profusion of them on the market:) I would watch carefully to see how he deals with the vertebrae; if they break up easily, then no problem. I'd be concerned if he were to swallow whole or half chunks of them. Fresh, raw vertebrae of cows or other animals would be no problem. As you feed more raw stuff, you will get a "feel" for how your dogs eats; there are items I won't give my powerful dog even though he would easily swallow them. Best to stick to easily consumable fresh raw items. Tricky stuff like rib slabs, half chickens, neck bones, small shoulder blades (lamb, pork, etc) are safest and fun to eat. Feeding raw is a LOT simpler than it's made out. Remember always that it's about balance over time, in amounts, types, species, etc. Please ask anything else:)

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Tasha,
The Raw Feeding Veterinary Supply is definitely a good resource.
Honey's in the UK is a fantastic raw food company with a brilliant ethos:
When I lived in the UK, the local organic butcher (we were in Gloucestershire) was able to provide all the parts that I needed and wanted. See who you can find locally; one of our neighbours raised sheep so we had that source as well. You can dehydrate your own meat for treats, as well, either in your oven or a dehydrator.
Best,
Dr. Sara

TashaG

Community Member
Registered
You have not much reason to be concerned about bacteria in any meats; dogs have powerful enzymes which can deal with them. For that reason, I would not insist on meals having been frozen at all. As far as buffalo tails, I had no idea there was such a profusion of them on the market:) I would watch carefully to see how he deals with the vertebrae; if they break up easily, then no problem. I'd be concerned if he were to swallow whole or half chunks of them. Fresh, raw vertebrae of cows or other animals would be no problem. As you feed more raw stuff, you will get a "feel" for how your dogs eats; there are items I won't give my powerful dog even though he would easily swallow them. Best to stick to easily consumable fresh raw items. Tricky stuff like rib slabs, half chickens, neck bones, small shoulder blades (lamb, pork, etc) are safest and fun to eat. Feeding raw is a LOT simpler than it's made out. Remember always that it's about balance over time, in amounts, types, species, etc. Please ask anything else:)
Thanks so much Ginny. Really helpful info and reassuring! He's doing great with it so far!

TashaG

Community Member
Registered
Dear Tasha,
The Raw Feeding Veterinary Supply is definitely a good resource.
Honey's in the UK is a fantastic raw food company with a brilliant ethos:
When I lived in the UK, the local organic butcher (we were in Gloucestershire) was able to provide all the parts that I needed and wanted. See who you can find locally; one of our neighbours raised sheep so we had that source as well. You can dehydrate your own meat for treats, as well, either in your oven or a dehydrator.
Best,
Dr. Sara
Thanks Dr Sara. Honey's looks amazing. (Strange it didn't show up in my literally days of googling!)

TashaG

Community Member
Registered
Hi Tasha-

Regarding freezing any meat, I'd say that it depends on your goal. It may kill some (probably not all) bacteria but you typically don't need to worry much about bacteria from meat (or bones) in a well balanced young pup like Buddy.

Yes, old dry bones should be discarded.

I don't know about the buffalo treat you mention. But @GinnyW might.

I bet you could find a local meat/heart supplier from the Raw Feeding Vet Society which is based in the UK (and which Dr. Nick started). Also, @Dr. Sara may know.

Great. Many thanks for the info.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom