• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Spaying and pyometra probability

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Now that Blossom has had pyometra I have to decide the best surgical option for her. I understand she can get laporascopic spay with removal of ovaries but does that mean she can still get pyometra or other uterine disease/infection leaving the uterus in? I was reading that she can still get pyometra if I decide to replace her hormones--is that stump pyometra? The doctor told me the chest xray was fine when I was there. However, I always want the xrays sent out because I don't think vets read xrays correctly. To that point, the xray came back with diffuse bronchial pattern suggestive of lower airway disease. Then it says clinically normal age related changes---huh--she is only 4? It says mild respiratory disease.... (normal but resp disease? I am confused And is this the cause of her exercise intolerance yet she can run like the wind when she wants to like last night running the fence line with another pittie in the neighborhood and subsequently sprained her leg (another post).... Also says small liver. For these reasons I wanted to do the fastest least invasive surgery---laporascopic removal of ovaries. I really did want the OSS which I can do but that is more invasive I guess. Hormones can be replaced but I read they give inuran which is estriol. In humans this is not the most physiologically estrogen for organ health---brain, heart etc... So in my opinion hormone replacement with incuran is woefully insufficient for the reasons I wanted to do OSS and preserve her hormones as God gave her. Do I need an Echo? How much more do I subject her to already? Repro doc says best time to do the surgery is mid Oct to mid Nov. Last heat was June....

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
does that mean she can still get pyometra or other uterine disease/infection leaving the uterus in?
Yes.
is that stump pyometra?
Yes.
Do I need an Echo? How much more do I subject her to already?
It will probably be low yield of useful info. but you may feel better knowing that her heart is OK. It's not invasive (and she'll get lots of pets ;) ) but may be quite pricey...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom