• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

SOS - Separation Anxiety in a Senior Shih Tzu

MauraF

VIP Member
Registered
SOS - am away for three weeks and my three Shih Tzu girls are at the home of a dog sitter with whom they’ve stayed a number of times in the past. Six days in and my soon-to-be 12 year old girl, Ele, started experiencing a little separation anxiety and began under-the-breath whining. With my permission, the dog sitter started giving her Zesty Paws Calming Flavor Infusions for Dogs - Composure & Relaxation for Everyday Stress & Separation - with Ashwagandha, Melatonin, L-Theanine & L-Tryptophan on a daily basis. Two days later, the dog sitter’s 94 year old Dad passed away, two days after being admitted to the hospital. Fast forward six days and yesterday, I received a text: “Ms Ele decided to go rolling around under the Arborvitae and got sticky and shedded leaves all stuck in her hair. Jele Bean and Joy just watched her. I managed to get the sticky out of her hair without cutting any of it.” “She is feeling her oats. I put the three of them out in the yard while I vacuumed the living room - it is so beautiful out today. I put their water and beds on the deck because I was doing the laundry room too. Joy and Jele Bean were laying in their beds, but not Ele. Because I had the vacuum on, I couldn’t hear her scratching at the screen. Maybe she was out there 20 minutes - she was quite industrious.” “Definitely not like her. I am still using the calming meds. Been giving her extra treats as well. Joy and Jele Bean are great - no issues.” “I am fine don’t worry - they’re animals you never know what they are thinking or going to do. I cleared my calendar for the whole time they have been here so she wouldn’t be left alone. No Dr visits or anything, but I am not you, and this is not her home. I only went for a few hours to visit my dad before he passed. Other than that, I am here. The other two are playing and having fun.” “Her appetite is excellent. She sleeps good - she seems pissed off. Not weepy, crying like last time when she dug a hole under the gate.” I was away for three weeks November into December 2022 when that happened. In September of 2022, she lost her older sister who was 15 years old. Ele was present when Joli was PTS and appeared unconcerned. Three days later, she realized that her sister was not returning and fell into a deep, severe depression and then into despair. Lots of; love, handling, physical affection, attention, good food, treats, exercise and techniques that I learned in this group, along with the playful invites of her two five-year-old sisters, and eventually acknowledging her as pack leader, brought Ele back to her self after six long months. I am unable to return home to retrieve her for the next five days. Am open to any and all suggestions as to how to ameliorate her current suffering. Thanking you in advance.

IMG_5556.jpeg

IMG_5557.jpeg

71528742518__FC83F3A8-54A6-428B-A6A3-80DF0D1E02FA.jpeg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Maura!

I'm sorry to hear about Ms. Ele's challenges.
Am open to any and all suggestions as to how to ameliorate her current suffering.
It sound like her BEAM overall is pretty good.

Are they using a flower essence like Stress Stopper or Rescue Remedy? If so, how often is she getting it?

Playful and happy engagement every 2-4 hours during the day, ideally outside, will be very helpful.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom