• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Solar Eclipse - how does it affect domestic animals? And what can be done to support them?

ivegrgas

VIP Member
Registered
Tomorrow, Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023, annular solar eclipse will be visible in parts of the United States and many other countries. I expect that this phenomenon to some extent impacts our pets although maybe not as much as it impacts animals in the wild.

I am wondering where one could find published studies on this topic? And how would one best support our animals during this time? In California, tomorrow's eclipse will last couple of hours in the morning. Is it advisable to keep pets indoors? Would one proactively offer flower essences?

I am planning on using this opportunity to observe my dog and be better prepared for the total eclipse that will occur on April 8th, 2024.

Thanks!
Ive

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Ive!

It was great seeing you on Skype today. The weather in SF looked perfect!???

What a great and juicy question!!

I haven't look for studies recently, and am going to bed now, but think I remember seeing some in wildlife and birds.

However, the true answer actually lies not in the studies, or thoughts of "what could happen", but in energetic balance and susceptibility.

Dogs (and all animals) react to all sorts of environmental phenomena. Like eclipses, phases of the moon, weather, etc.

IMO the main things to prepare in preparation of the eclipse (or really any potential environmental influence) are Xia's overall equilibrium and the energetic emanations from your brain.

The more you focus on her BEAM and health (as you already do) and focus on things like the awe and beauty of the eclipse, the better Xia's (and your) energetic balance will be and she'll have less susceptibility (and more resilience from) to developing any health challenge associated with the eclipse (or a full moon, or wind, or...).

ivegrgas

VIP Member
Registered
We are indeed very lucky here in San Francisco, the weather has been spectacular in the last few weeks. In fact, Because of great weather, Xia and I were able to go to the beach four days last week. All this while Blue Angels were practicing in the air above us. When the first plane flew right above us Xia got scared. However, I did not give it too much attention. I told her that both of us are safe. She got so relaxed that we both were able to watch the planes flying all around us.

I think that similar approach might work in this situation as well!

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I love your question, Ive.

I am staying with Jody Teiche in Austin, TX and her dog and cat. We will definitely observe how they are.

Surprising Ways Animals React to Solar Eclipses - basically acted as if it were night - bats came out, etc. since our animals are living in artificial light a lot, I do not think most will be very affected.

Community - please let us know how your animals respond.

D. Christina

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I was close the full annular eclipse (missing about 10 degrees of complete halo) where there were some dogs and they did not notice anything. It felt a few degrees colder to me and it was amazing to see the changes. A friend of mine in WA on a quiet farm felt a significant energy change for about 1.5 hours.

A woman in the Texas full annular area said that many great egrets landed on the tops of pine trees where she had never seen them.

And Jody Teiche, where I am staying said her cat begged togo out when the eclipse was just starting. She was on her regular LONG tether but this time, as the eclipse deepened, she became super active - running up a tree, sprinting back and forth on her tether. As soon as the eclipse waned, she quieted even though still outside!!

Dr. Christina

Last edited:

ivegrgas

VIP Member
Registered
As the eclipse started I noticed that it got very quiet where I live. I had planned on going outside but since it was somewhat overcast I decided to stay in. And both Xia and I fell asleep! It is not unusual for Xia to sleep, but it is very unusual for me to fall asleep during the day. Once the eclipse was over, it seemed that life quickly returned to normal if not more active state. This eclipse was a very unique experience and it reminded me of the day in 2020 when, due to heavy smoke and fog, the sun did not come out in San Francisco.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Interesting!

Response to eclipses are not well represented in the homeopathic literature but I found this interesting passage in one of the original journals of homeopathy that may be applicable nowadays:

"The present time most suitable for such an undertaking. A truth generally passes through three stages; first, it is received by a few earnest men; it is then unpopular, and meets with opposition, therefore none adhere to it who are not sincere: next comes the stage of popularity; at this period, a number of half-adherents arise, either for the sake of the emoluments attending it, or, because, having been unsuccessful in the old state of things, they think they may succeed better in the new: this necessarily results in truth being corrupted and perverted, till, at last-for magna est veritas et praevalebit-a storm arises, and the overclouded sky is cleared, and truth once more shines forth, appearing all the brighter after her temporary eclipse.:

Then came the second period, that of eclipse. Here the journals were closed as far as possible to the Hahnemannians, whose teaching was misrepresented, and whose writings were excluded, or, if inserted, frequently mutilated; while the leaders of the Pathological School were permitted every opportunity of promulgating their own tenets. In the States an unhappy dispute arose between two of the leading Hahnemannians, really based upon the question whether we should give up our uncompromising attitude towards the Anti-Hahnemannians in the hope of converting them. This divided our ranks, and even caused a disruption in the Philadelphia College; since which another Hahnemannian of eminence followed in the same mistaken path, and after announcing the principle of freedom of medical opinion for Homoeopathic physicians (i.e. , that whatever principles they held they might still retain the name), at last enunciated the startling fallacy that the Organon should be placed "for frequent perusal, and as a trusted guide, in the hands, not perhaps of the student, but of the educated earnest practitioner." Owing to the fact that Homoeopathy had taken deeper root in the States than with us, it did not suffer so much as here, and though under a cloud, was still sustained by some few Hahnemannians, among whom, besides our own American co-editors, we must mention Dr. Rollin R. Gregg, of Buffalo, whose Homoeopathic Quarterly was one of the most valuable periodicals ever published, and had not the ill-health of the author caused its cessation, would probably have occupied the ground now assumed by "The Organon.":

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Well, speaking of truth, I found an interesting Wiki entry, having looked up "primum non nocere". It speaks of a film about an epileptic child whose parents fought for non-conventional treatment, and whose condition was apparently resolved by a ketogenic diet. Well, I could have told them that - plus all the other wonderful adjuncts we "secret", "unconventional", not to mention downright "crackpot", doctors have. Amazing, and sobering, how truth and reason are constantly suppressed. Health is enough of a battle these days, without all the folks working against its dissemination.

ivegrgas

VIP Member
Registered
Interesting!

Response to eclipses are not well represented in the homeopathic literature but I found this interesting passage in one of the original journals of homeopathy that may be applicable nowadays:

"The present time most suitable for such an undertaking. A truth generally passes through three stages; first, it is received by a few earnest men; it is then unpopular, and meets with opposition, therefore none adhere to it who are not sincere: next comes the stage of popularity; at this period, a number of half-adherents arise, either for the sake of the emoluments attending it, or, because, having been unsuccessful in the old state of things, they think they may succeed better in the new: this necessarily results in truth being corrupted and perverted, till, at last-for magna est veritas et praevalebit-a storm arises, and the overclouded sky is cleared, and truth once more shines forth, appearing all the brighter after her temporary eclipse.:

Then came the second period, that of eclipse. Here the journals were closed as far as possible to the Hahnemannians, whose teaching was misrepresented, and whose writings were excluded, or, if inserted, frequently mutilated; while the leaders of the Pathological School were permitted every opportunity of promulgating their own tenets. In the States an unhappy dispute arose between two of the leading Hahnemannians, really based upon the question whether we should give up our uncompromising attitude towards the Anti-Hahnemannians in the hope of converting them. This divided our ranks, and even caused a disruption in the Philadelphia College; since which another Hahnemannian of eminence followed in the same mistaken path, and after announcing the principle of freedom of medical opinion for Homoeopathic physicians (i.e. , that whatever principles they held they might still retain the name), at last enunciated the startling fallacy that the Organon should be placed "for frequent perusal, and as a trusted guide, in the hands, not perhaps of the student, but of the educated earnest practitioner." Owing to the fact that Homoeopathy had taken deeper root in the States than with us, it did not suffer so much as here, and though under a cloud, was still sustained by some few Hahnemannians, among whom, besides our own American co-editors, we must mention Dr. Rollin R. Gregg, of Buffalo, whose Homoeopathic Quarterly was one of the most valuable periodicals ever published, and had not the ill-health of the author caused its cessation, would probably have occupied the ground now assumed by "The Organon.":
A friend who is a research scientist told me that every idea goes through three stages based on his experience presenting ideas to scientific leadership that decides which research will be funded:
1) Bad Idea;
2) Good Idea;
3) My Idea!
My friends experience may be more cynical but very relatable in the world of research and beyond.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
I have heard that being present in a total eclipse (even though only for 2-4 minutes) is a life altering experience, so I do plan to fly somewhere to experience it in April!

And will watch for animal behaviors.

Dr. Christina

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Wow! That's saying a lot - how would I know? I've been through one total and a couple partial.... Terrific, yes.....life changing, I have no idea.

ginny

ivegrgas

VIP Member
Registered
I have heard that being present in a total eclipse (even though only for 2-4 minutes) is a life altering experience, so I do plan to fly somewhere to experience it in April!

And will watch for animal behaviors.

Dr. Christina
Yes, I heard the same discussed on a local NPR radio show. If I remember correctly, the reporter alluded the life altering experience comes not only by being exposed to the total solar eclipse but doing it so among other spectators who share in the anticipation of such a unique and rare astrological phenomenon. Furthermore, such a supposition is supported by Ginny's experience. And with that we made a full circle back to Dr. Jeff's earlier comment regarding "energetic balance and susceptibility!"

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom