• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

So many fleas in new house/new neighborhood

SarahGa

Registered
Hello... I am a new member, and I found Holistic Actions amidst a long search in natural ways to get rid of fleas. My friends who all use the traditional flea medications from veterinarians tell me this will never work. But I am fully committed to giving it my all without using chemicals.

I used to flea comb my dog every night and vacuum once a week at our previous house - that seemed to do the trick! I would find 7-15 fleas on her 90 lbs of fur. Now at our new house I can comb 60 fleas off of her in one sitting, they are popping on our ankles unless I vacuum every single day, spray wondercide in all areas that she lays. I am ordering springtime bug off garlic and applying nematodes in the backyard. This is so much work! I'm hoping I apply the nematodes properly- any advice from someone who has had success? ( How do I know it's actually working?)

Some days this feels really daunting... all this daily effort just to not get bit by fleas for one night. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

1. Saja
  2. 4.5 years old
  3. female
  4. spayed
  5. Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Malamute
  6. 90 lbs.
  7. great BEAM
  8. Honest Kitchen, Farmers Dog, Steves - trying to go more raw.
  9. Vaccination - had all the vaccines
@Dr. Sara ,@Dr. Christina ,@Dr. Jeff

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Welcome Sarah.
It can be a big challenge to deal with fleas, using chemicals or the holistic approaches. Avoiding the chemicals will be worth it in the long run. The nematodes definitely work. when you need to buy more, I would go with Flea destroyers as they are really helpful to work with. Nematodes do work.

Also, add flea traps (you can make your own) and a flea tag for your dog and maybe yourself! I now prefer www.tickless.com, which is ultrasonic.

If you are using a vacuum with a bag, put some diatomaceous earth (not the pool grade) in it or the fleas will keep cycling.

Most important is to build the general health of your dog as fleas just do not stay on really healthy dogs, so take the 101 class.

Download the Fleas Be Gone book as well, written by me. And there is an easy to read humorous and practical book by Chip Sammons.

Dr. Christina

HA! Support

Administrator
VIP Member
Registered
Hello... I am a new member, and I found Holistic Actions amidst a long search in natural ways to get rid of fleas. My friends who all use the traditional flea medications from veterinarians tell me this will never work. But I am fully committed to giving it my all without using chemicals.

I used to flea comb my dog every night and vacuum once a week at our previous house - that seemed to do the trick! I would find 7-15 fleas on her 90 lbs of fur. Now at our new house I can comb 60 fleas off of her in one sitting, they are popping on our ankles unless I vacuum every single day, spray wondercide in all areas that she lays. I am ordering springtime bug off garlic and applying nematodes in the backyard. This is so much work! I'm hoping I apply the nematodes properly- any advice from someone who has had success? ( How do I know it's actually working?)

Some days this feels really daunting... all this daily effort just to not get bit by fleas for one night. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

1. Saja
  2. 4.5 years old
  3. female
  4. spayed
  5. Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Malamute
  6. 90 lbs.
  7. great BEAM
  8. Honest Kitchen, Farmers Dog, Steves - trying to go more raw.
  9. Vaccination - had all the vaccines
@Dr. Sara ,@Dr. Christina ,@Dr. Jeff
Thank you for this great question, Sarah.

SarahGa

Registered
Welcome Sarah.
It can be a big challenge to deal with fleas, using chemicals or the holistic approaches. Avoiding the chemicals will be worth it in the long run. The nematodes definitely work. when you need to buy more, I would go with Flea destroyers as they are really helpful to work with. Nematodes do work.

Also, add flea traps (you can make your own) and a flea tag for your dog and maybe yourself! I now prefer www.tickless.com, which is ultrasonic.

If you are using a vacuum with a bag, put some diatomaceous earth (not the pool grade) in it or the fleas will keep cycling.

Most important is to build the general health of your dog as fleas just do not stay on really healthy dogs, so take the 101 class.

Download the Fleas Be Gone book as well, written by me. And there is an easy to read humorous and practical book by Chip Sammons.

Dr. Christina
Thank you so much Dr. Christina. I did get most of the ideas from your book! I just received the Flee Free from Green Hope Farm and my dog loves it! I'm using a Dyson bagless cordless vacuum which is probably not the best. I was thinking of getting a bagged vacuum as I don't empty the canister every day.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom