• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Skin Tag and Itchiness

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Hello, my dog has had a skin tag on her head near her ear for about a year. My vet tested it and it wasn't cancerous so we left it alone. This weekend, maybe Friday, she scratched it and it started bleeding. I put a cone on her on Saturday, tried to cut some of the fur away so that it could breathe and applied some mupirocin. I've been applying it twice a day since Saturday. It doesn't really seem to be healing. I try to clean it every morning, but I'm having a hard time removing the dried blood that is around it, which I think is making it itch more for her. Dr. Christina suggested I try aloe or coconut oil, which I will do tonight. Any other suggestions?

Nothing much has really changed. She has had some issues with her raw food diet and diarrhea, but that's not new from last week. Everything else is normal, her energy is good, her appetite is good, she's restless with the cone, but she's getting used to it. I'm attaching photos, not sure if they will help.

IMG_0482.jpg IMG_0483.jpg

Thank you!
Lisa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
How old is your pup Lisa?

What does she eat?

Does she have any other current, or historical, health challenges?

Regarding the scabbing, try pouring on straight hydrogen peroxide. Let it bubble up then wipe it away. Then rinse and repeat until as needed.

Be gentle tho to not create more bleeding.

Magnesium oil may be helpful if gently massage in or around the area.

Dr, Rose's Remedy is another nice healing agent as is Stem Gel.

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Thank you Dr Jeff. She’s 9 years old, we think. She was a rescue. We’ve had her for 7 years. I don’t think she had the best nutrition as a puppy, her hips never fully developed. She has a lot of anxiety. She had some issues with her teeth so she doesn’t have many left. That’s probably it as far as underlying issues.

We recently switched her to a raw food diet, I also posted about that because she has had a lot of soft stool or diarrhea.

I will try the hydrogen peroxide. I put some aloe on it tonight, which she seemed to like. I have the magnesium oil as well (epsom salt and water, correct?) I’ll also look into ordering the product you recommended.

Is this something we should consider removing? It’s a heated discussion in our house at the moment.

Thank you for the advice!

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Good morning! I used the hydrogen peroxide on Te'a this morning and cleaned it up a bit. There is a bit of an odor, which has me a little concerned. We went for a walk so it could dry up a bit, then I applied some magnesium oil. I ordered Dr. Rose's Remedy last night. Hopefully it will arrive soon!

Thank you.
I'll keep you posted.
Lisa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great work Lisa!

Yes, magnesium oil is a supersaturated solution made with boiling water and Epsom salts or magnesium chloride.

Yes, to remove or not remove, especially on older pets, can be a big issue.

Had it changed much in the year she's had it? Before she scratched it.

Which ear?

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Its on her left ear. It seems to have gotten slightly larger in the past year, but not much.

Her fur that is around it seems to have gotten a little hard. I think I might try to rinse it with the hydrogen peroxide again tonight.

Thank you so much for checking in.
Lisa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Lisa!

Has she had any homeopathic medicines from Becca (or otherwise)?

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
You're welcome, Lisa!

Has she had any homeopathic medicines from Becca (or otherwise)?
No, we don't have any homeopathic medicines. I can reach out to Becca and she if she might have something?

I'm afraid I might have made it worse when I put more hydrogen perioxide on it. It was probalby starting to scab over and then I loosened it. Its very red. I didn't put anything else on it, maybe just let it air dry? I attached a couple pictures, I don't know that one picture is better than the other.

Her BEAM is still pretty good.

thumbnail_IMG_0501.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0502.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0503.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0504.jpg

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Lisa-

The peroxide may have exposed the skin eruption making it look bigger.

However, you didn't make it worse.

I believe Becca will have Thuja 30c...?

kristen_acri

VIP Member
Registered
Following this because Charlie has a papilloma behind his left ear that he scratches open causing it to bleed. I'm calling it a papilloma because it looks like a little cauliflower floret.

Can we think about these skin things -- tags, warts, papillomas -- all in the same way as far as treatment? And why they are there in the first place, dis-ease moving from internal to external? I would love for it to disappear without surgery!

Would ozonated olive or coconut oil be okay to try? Forgot about Stem Gel, I have that so will try and also magnesium oil.

Thanks!

Kristen

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Lisa-

Thank you. I will check with Becca. And thank you for making me feel better about not making it worse. :)

I haven't put anything on it since last night. Its definitely drying up, but the skin tag is still there and she still itches it when I take the cone off. I haven't received Dr. Rose's Remedy. I reached out to them and they said it didn't go out until late Tuesday. Hopefully it will show up today. Now I'm wishing I had ordered the Stem Gel.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Lisa.

Try spraying the ear area around the growth with magnesium oil. Then massage it in.

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Hi Lisa-

Hi Dr. Jeff!

Becca is able to give me a few Thuja pellets. How should I dose since they are pellets? Also, the Dr. Rose's Remedy that I ordered has still not arrived. If I start with the Thuja, should I hold off on using the topical in order to see her response to the remedy?

Thank you again for your guidance.
Lisa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
1 pellet in 1 cup of water then dip a Q-Tip in the cup and touch it to his gums.

Save the cup for any future dosing.

Dr. Rose's has a very mild supportive effect so by the time it arrives, it should be fine to use.

You're welcome, Lisa. ?

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
1 pellet in 1 cup of water then dip a Q-Tip in the cup and touch it to his gums.

Save the cup for any future dosing.

Dr. Rose's has a very mild supportive effect so by the time it arrives, it should be fine to use.

You're welcome, Lisa. ?
Great! Thank you so much!!

I'll share the results!

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Dr Jeff, should I do this for a few days or just once?

Lisa

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Hi, just an update on Te'a. Her skin tag seems to be healing. It's a little smaller than it was and she doesn't seem to be scratching it as much. She has been getting 1 Q-tip of Thuja on her gums every day. Now, she has developed a bump on the corner of her eye. I was thinking that she might have irritated it while she was scratching at her skin tag. But it doesn't seem to be going away. I'm just keeping an eye on it.

Healing.jpg

Te'a's Eye.jpg
Thank you for all of the help!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
You're welcome, Lisa.

Try stopping the Thuja dosing to see if the eye bump resolves.

LisaP

VIP Member
Registered
Dr Jeff, do you think the Thuja could have caused the bump on her eye? We are seriously thinking of having both skin bumps removed at this point. Yesterday she messed with the one on her head again. She is overdue for a teeth cleaning. Since she just recently started on the raw food diet, we haven't seen the benefits yet, and her teeth are terrible. She is already missing most on one side of her mouth. So, we were thinking that if we are going to get her teeth cleaned, we should go just ahead and have both removed as well.

If you think the Thuja may have caused the bump on her eye, I'm willing to wait a little longer to see if it resolves itself. Or maybe I'm missing something else? It is strange that it just showed up.

Interested in your thoughts.
Lisa

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great question, Lisa! No, Thuja did not cause it.

30c homeopathic medicines, do not have any active substance in them, so they cannot start the changes that drugs in pharmacologically active doses can.

Homeopathically , her eye eruption resulted from biochemical and physiologic shifts in her body that may have occurred secondary to the stimulus of the Thuja.

So yes, I agree 100% that waiting longer could be beneficial.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom