• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Sileo

G

ginnyw

Oh, heck, no! Just another drug. Noise reactivity can be worked with; what you're after is an honest, conscious response where the animal can decide how to react. This takes work, not drugs, and it builds upon the relationship the human has forged well before fireworks season. Anything else is dishonest, dismissive of your animal's capability, and just plain lazy on your part. Yes, homeopathic remedies can help, but no pill produces magic on its own. Stay off the drugs, and at the very least be prepared to stay with your animal in a quiet, peaceful place, be cheerful and upbeat, have treats handy for staying relatively calm, and acknowledge the "bangers" without negativity.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Judy-

Yes, this a human sedative drug packaged for animals in a novel form (a gel to rub on the gums).

Like, any other drug, unlike homeopathic medicines, it comes with side effects such as:

Important Safety Information: Do not use SILEO in dogs with severe cardiovascular disease, respiratory, liver or kidney diseases, or in conditions of shock, severe debilitation, or stress due to extreme heat, cold or fatigue or in dogs hypersensitive to dexmedetomidine or to any of the excipients. SILEO should not be administered in the presence of preexisting hypotension, hypoxia, or bradycardia. Do not use in dogs sedated from previous dosing. SILEO has not been evaluated in dogs younger than 16 weeks of age or in dogs with dental or gingival disease that could have an effect on the absorption of SILEO. SILEO has not been evaluated for use in breeding, pregnant, or lactating dogs or for aversion behaviors to thunder...

As Ginny pointed out, the main reason to use it is convenience.

It may not even work but still have unintended bad effects.

It may be as effective, and is safer, for your customers with noise-sensitive pets to give a few pre-emptive doses of Aconite (in water). Or use one of the gentle supportive measures mentioned during the 6/24/19 Empower Hour! webinar.

CatLove (Lisa)

All-Access Member
Registered
Oh, heck, no! Just another drug. Noise reactivity can be worked with; what you're after is an honest, conscious response where the animal can decide how to react. This takes work, not drugs, and it builds upon the relationship the human has forged well before fireworks season. Anything else is dishonest, dismissive of your animal's capability, and just plain lazy on your part. Yes, homeopathic remedies can help, but no pill produces magic on its own. Stay off the drugs, and at the very least be prepared to stay with your animal in a quiet, peaceful place, be cheerful and upbeat, have treats handy for staying relatively calm, and acknowledge the "bangers" without negativity.
Hi Ginny, I appreciate your post here. What would you recommend for education and learning resources regarding how I could work with my anxious cat ahead and during regular and acute health care situations....like ear cleaning, nail maintenance and unexpected infection treatment like my current situation of needing to drain a pus filled swelling multiple times a day on her face from a cat bite. I go very slowly, in the draining process, calming energy and patience but it still causes her pain and distress. Trying to keep a warm compress on the infection site for 3-5 minutes is impossible, so I take what I can get in doses of maybe 30 seconds at a time...This process took almost an hour to open up the drain site last night, with gentle applied pressure, but that's ok, I wasn't in a hurry. She is 11 years old and comes from a difficult life, I've only had her 3 years. I wondered about natural herbal sedatives like valerian, but Dr. Jeff advised to try more along the lines of what you're talking about. I'm going to watch the 2019 CBD/Cannabis webinars too. And treats training. Seaweed, have you used that with cats? How difficult is it to train an elderly cat? What kind of seaweed? Thank you : )

Last edited:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom