• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Senior dog needing dental work

MarijkeH

Registered
Indi - age 15
It would seem - to me - that an anaesthetic at her age can possibly be detrimental.
My question is ...
What can be given to protect her body - organs and brain - before and after surgery?

Also, I have been lucky enough to purchase ozone oil from a holistic vet hospital in Tasmania. However, having difficulty applying to gums, and Indi has been eagerly licking up the oil. Was hoping that the ozone oil could prevent her from needing surgery? (she has only been having it for about a week and her breath has somewhat improved).
Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Jeff ...

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Marijke!

My recommendations for protecting her organs and brain before and after a dental surgery start and end with Arnica.

Perhaps make up a cup of the highest potency Arnica you can find, and give a dose the night before the dental.

And then as often as needed, based on low BEAM, restlessness, apparent discomfort, etc. post-dental.

Regarding possibly avoiding the dental, that would depend on lots of factors such as her symptoms (trouble eating food?) and degree of dental disease.

If you have the latest vet exam, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Yes, ozonated olive oil, chewing on raw turkey necks,Teef supplement, etc. can help improve her breath and oral health.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Let us know the condition of her gums and teeth. If they are just stained or some tartar with a little redness on the gums, you may be able to wait a few months to try Dr. Jeff's suggestions.

We have several webinars on cleaning teeth. Ozone is good and ok she is swallowing it. Maybe try training her to LOVE having you rub it on. Does she mind you rubbing with just your finger? do that mostly (it actually cleans teeth as well as a brush), then randomly put a tad of olive oil on your finger. Add more as she comes to like this along with treat after of playing and having fun with you. Be sneaky!!

As you follow the guidelines in the 101 course, the teeth might probably clean up on their own.

Dr. Christina

MarijkeH

Registered
Hey Marijke!

My recommendations for protecting her organs and brain before and after a dental surgery start and end with Arnica.

Perhaps make up a cup of the highest potency Arnica you can find, and give a dose the night before the dental.

And then as often as needed, based on low BEAM, restlessness, apparent discomfort, etc. post-dental.

Regarding possibly avoiding the dental, that would depend on lots of factors such as her symptoms (trouble eating food?) and degree of dental disease.

If you have the latest vet exam, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Yes, ozonated olive oil, chewing on raw turkey necks,Teef supplement, etc. can help improve her breath and oral health.

As usual, I am so very grateful for this information.
We have not yet been to the vet for a check up.
Checked out the teef website - thank you - sent an email to enquire whether they ship to Australia.

MarijkeH

Registered
Let us know the condition of her gums and teeth. If they are just stained or some tartar with a little redness on the gums, you may be able to wait a few months to try Dr. Jeff's suggestions.

We have several webinars on cleaning teeth. Ozone is good and ok she is swallowing it. Maybe try training her to LOVE having you rub it on. Does she mind you rubbing with just your finger? do that mostly (it actually cleans teeth as well as a brush), then randomly put a tad of olive oil on your finger. Add more as she comes to like this along with treat after of playing and having fun with you. Be sneaky!!

As you follow the guidelines in the 101 course, the teeth might probably clean up on their own.

Dr. Christina
Thank you so much for the reply.
I am in a space of wanting her teeth sorted once and for all. However she already has some cognitive decline and an anaesthetic at her age could carry an unwanted outcome. So yes, am in the process of seeing if teef post internationally.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Teef! comes in a small flat mailing packet, so I would think it will go through the post without issue. We continue to see good results, at 10 weeks in, and will keep up its use.

Dr. Christina

VIP Member
Veterinarian
Marijke, there rarely is "sorted out once and for all" for any problem. You do the best you can at any moment, repeating the HMDM process over and over. Especially as they age.

We are on a journey of health. It is not a place we get to and permanently stay!
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jean Hofve

VIP Member
Veterinarian
If extractions or other procedures under anesthesia are needed, IV propofol is now common, it's not metabolized in the body at all. As long as there are fluids and other good support and monitoring, surgery is so much safer than ever before.

MarijkeH

Registered
If extractions or other procedures under anesthesia are needed, IV propofol is now common, it's not metabolized in the body at all. As long as there are fluids and other good support and monitoring, surgery is so much safer than ever before.
Thank you - that is very helpful to know. Now it is a matter of finding a vet who is up-to-date with this. Then if the Teef product does not solve the issue ...
So many possibilities I would not know were even available were it not for HA!
❤️:)

MarijkeH

Registered
Marijke, there rarely is "sorted out once and for all" for any problem. You do the best you can at any moment, repeating the HMDM process over and over. Especially as they age.

We are on a journey of health. It is not a place we get to and permanently stay!
Dr. Christina
Absolutely :thumbsup:

MarijkeH

Registered
As usual, I am so very grateful for this information.
We have not yet been to the vet for a check up.
Checked out the teef website - thank you - sent an email to enquire whether they ship to Australia.
Ordered a Teef product yesterday ... sounds fabulous - hopefully it does the trick ?
:)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom