• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Seasonal Allergies

Julie W.

All-Access Member
Registered
Hi my name is Julie and I have a raw fed 10 year old English Springer Spaniel that has awful environmental allergies. He is Itchy itchy itchy with gooey eyes and ears. Ugh! The allergies are sort of seasonal but really year round. I have not found anything that really helps him for any significant amount of time. I want to try an OTC anti histamine. Benedryl 25 mg was not helpful. Has anyone used other OTC medicine with any success?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Julie, and how great that you posted!

In my experience, every individual reacts differently to anti-histamines.

For example, you may find that a higher dose (up to 75mg) of Benadryl both helps the itch as well as sleep.

Chlorphenaramine (4-8mg) is another that is commonly used which is less sedating and can help decrease the itch.

You had mentioned previously that the eye drop Zaditor helped his eyes significantly. Unfortunately the oral form of this anti-histamine is not available in the US (or Montreal which I checked by talking to a pharmacist up there last week).

Since the eyedrop form (from Systane) works well for him, why not continue to use it for his eyes?

You can even safely put the drops in his ears.

Any oral probiotic capsule/powder that you are using can also be put in his ears.

1/2 capsule of Probio Defense twice/day.

Even better is to combine it with zeolite powder to both help the bacterial balance as well as to detoxify without suppressing the discharge.

As you know, all of these things are only helping the symptoms, and not the underlying internal imbalance (dis-ease) and resulting allergy.

Therefore continue your internal energetic treatment using homeopathy which will help in the long run, while you work in the short run to improve his symptoms and quality of life.

Feel free to post any of your specific supplement questions over in the supportive supplement folder:

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Dr. Jeff requested that I start a thread on seasonal allergies but in that there is already one going.... I will continue.
Murphy (1 yr. old BMD) is shaking his head violently. Especially in the morning but occasionally throughout the day. This is not new! It did calm down over the winter but when the forsythia bloomed... BAM! he is shaking his head and I feel like I have water in my ears.
What is new is that I read on Dr. Google that Allium might help. For 3 days in a row this week, I dosed Murphy with 2X 30c.... it did seem to help. I was advised that I was possibly palliating the symptom. I have not dosed for 2 days and Murphy's head shaking is back to being REALLY bad.
For my allergies, I tried honey and ignoring them for 3 days. I started to sound like I had flu so I relented and started taking allergy pills... it took 3 days for my symptoms to diminish, now I am fine.
Can I give Murphy Allertec????

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes you can Dana give Zyrtec/Allertec.

What mg strength pills do you have?

Dana

All-Access Member
Registered
Aller-Tec is Cetirizine HCI 10 mg

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest