• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Scooting and dragging

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I have been giving Blossom, about 2- 4 years old fiber for a few weeks along with putting chopped veggies in her food. She poops at least 4 times a day maybe 5 times. Is this too much food? Her poops are fine and I had one checked yesterday with no problems. She is sometimes scooting though and wondered why. I have not gotten her to the vet yet but working on it, (her travel anxiety). Can this be nothing or what should I look for... Should I continue the fiber or stop it? She seems to have no problem and goes too much. I was also feeding her Clay with one meal for the detox which I was going to stop also.
I also feed her no added fat (except Ghee sometimes) and wonder what I should be adding that won't ruin the taste of her meal.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Hmm. BEAM is good.
1. scooting is probably from anals - this is an EWS. For now, you can hot pack (with added rescue remedy or calendula) once or twice a day for a few days to see if that resolves the scooting. Or as needed for the scooting.
2. 4-5 times is a lot of stool. Questions I would ponder - too much food, too much fiber, too much detox. Maybe.
3. I do not have the whole picture to prescribe, of course. Maybe go back to basic food for a week and see what changes.
4. Would not see need to go to vet. Keep working on the anxiety as you are doing, I know.

Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
She poops at least 4 times a day maybe 5 times. Is this too much food?
This is quite a lot (1-2x/day is more common).

Perhaps try weaning/stopping the veggies and stopping the fiber to see how her stool frequency and scooting respond.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
I did stop the fiber now but I thought the fiber helps provide bulk so the anal glands can empty? I don't know much about all this. I don't think the scooting is as frequent right now (it is more of a "gross me out" kind of thing when she does it on the same kitchen floor she eats off of---and she also sits on her snuffle mat) and think it may have lessened when I did stop the fiber. I thought it also best to avoid expressing the anal glands if possible because then once that is started you have to keep doing it?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I thought it also best to avoid expressing the anal glands if possible because then once that is started you have to keep doing it?
Yes! The more often that the anal sacs get emptied, the greater the underlying cause becomes and the anal sac problems can become more frequent.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom