• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Rescue Kittens w Pneumonia

RobinO

VIP Member
Registered
Pistachio and Catshew are brother and sister tuxedo kittens that were rescued from the lot of a concrete products company. They've been part of my rescue for about 6 weeks. I got Pistachio 1/3/18 and didn't get his sister (trapped) until 1/21/18 (she was quite feral).

Pistachio:
DOB approx 11.16.17
On intake 1/3/18 he was filthy from diesel engine grease and had a huge belly from parasites, but was otherwise rail thin. He was 6-8 weeks old on intake.
Dewormed: strongid
Tests: Snap (positive for FIV, but likely false due to his age)
Next day purged a lot of dead roundworms from gut and also vomited some up. His rectum was bloody and swollen. He had no fleas, ticks or ear mites. His tail tip was frostbitten and eventually fell off. Mild URI, light sneezing, eyes weepy. DID NOT GIVE ANTIBIOTICS. Resolved in a few days.
1/5/18 was doing poorly. Vet gave SQ fluids (maybe 20cc?) and B12 injection
1/9/18 fecal-negative
Next two weeks were repeat visits due to the irritation/damage to his rectum which has resolved now.
1/27/18 Watery diarrhea. Fecal test positive for Coccidia. Began Albon treatment for 3 days. Asked to switch over to Ponazuril. Gave that for 3 days but noticed Pistchio coughed a lot after day 2 and day 3 treatment. Feared I gave him aspirate pneumonia.
2/2/18 Back to vet re: coughing. Could not hear anything alarming. No fever. Kitten seemed fine on exam. Felt it was ok to do vax. Coughing could have been from parasite load (I've seen that before and it goes away)
2/9/18 I put it off as long as I could, gave Spirit Ess Vaccination Remedy about a week prior and week after, but both kittens got first FVRCP vax :-(
2/12/18 X-rays done. Interstitial pattern in lungs. Pneumonia. CBC showed elevation in eosinophils, but otherwise WNL. Did not do chem panel. Vet put him on clavamox for 10 days. Did not respond to treatment but did not get worse or if worse very slightly so.
2/21/18 X-rays done. Lungs still look bad. Vet said if it was adult he would say it looked like lung cancer. Pattern was Not consistent with asthma. Did PCR test. Waiting on results. Pistachio is also both sides cyrptorchid. We're to wait until he is 6 months old, then do ultrasound/spay if testicles aren't down yet. Vet wants him on Doxycycline for 2 weeks. Gave him Strongid again. I got the prescription filled but have NOT given it to the kittens yet.

Kitten does not have great appetite but will eat. Has been gaining weight and growing, but not the way I would expect. Is playful and bright. Night after coming home from vet had a very small amount of thick opaque eye discharge. Coughs at night while at rest. Does not cough after running around or jumping.

Catshew
Her condition was overall much better than her brothers. No big wormy belly. Was de-wormed and no dead worms seems. No fleas, ticks or ear mites. She has had watery eyes since we got her, but no sneezing. She's only coughed a few times, but she was also x-rayed on 2/21 and her lungs are as bad as her brothers. Her tail was broken before rescue and healed oddly but she has full use of it and vet said she is not in pain. She has not been tested for FIV/FeLV yet. Asked vet if lungs were due to concrete dust inhalation and he said unlikely.

She is playful, still skittish, but getting more friendly, has waxing/waning appetite though I think she typically eats a bit better than her brother does. Both kittens do eat and gain wt but are not ravenous as most kittens I've fostered are.

Kittens are NOT getting anything at this time. I have a high potency Manuka Honey (as per Dr Chambreau) on order. Will be here tomorrow. The kittens share a room with another adult cat and have been exposed to some of my adult cats :-(

That's all I can think of for now. Any suggestions appreciated, most importantly about what to do next.

Thank you!
Robin

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
I'm so glad we got to speak about Pistachio today.

We'll be looking forward to your updates after his homeopathic medicine.

Dr. Jeff

RobinO

VIP Member
Registered
UPDATE: The PCR test came back positive for Mycoplasma and negative for the following: Chlamydia Felis, Calici, Herpes I, Bordatella, H7N2 Flu and Flu A.

What I need to know is if homeopathy is sufficient treatment for the kittens (and to NOT give doxycycline)? As you know, I’m a newbie to all this and I need a bit of hand-holding right now. Once I get the swing of things I won’t be such a nervous-nelly.

I’m expecting the Manuka Honey to arrive today.

Is it still the correct treatment along with pulsitilla (for now)? If so, WHAT IS THE DOSE of the honey for the cats? If weight matters, one is 4 lbs and one is 3 lbs.

I'm to add a vaporizer to the foster room so I'll do that and I'll do a good scrub down with the steam cleaner.

Oh yes...kittens ate better this morning (tried a different food) and have good energy today.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Robin-

1. Yes! Optimizing vitality and balance with homeopathy can address Mycoplasma pneumonia (if that's really what's going on and not just an incidental finding).

As it does for other potentially fatal infections including pneumonias (in people).

2. Regarding the Puls., the answer is also yes depending on their specific responses to it.

See if they'll lick up the Manuka honey. If so, work up to 1/4 tsp. twice a day.

You can't really overdose them with it as long as their stools remain solid and their BEAM symptoms continue to be great.

Vaporizing is a useful tool for supporting pets with pneumonia.

As is coupage (which is basically a kind of gentle pounding on their chests to break up any lung congestion.

You can see if some gentle coupage helps them cough up any of the deeper discharge.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IENtJvc8sus" rel="noopener" target="_blank">Here's one video example</a> of coupage but a few few corrections: 1-her had should be cupped when coupaging and 2-she should be doing it in circles around the chest.

Both of those will increase effectiveness.

Have a great Sunday.

Dr. Jeff

RobinO

VIP Member
Registered
Monday Update:

Kittens are eating well! Yay! Also, as I mentioned to you via PM, Pistachio has slept on my chest twice now-a deep sleep with some mild dreaming. He also purrs a bit during this time. He has gotten a lot clingier (which I love). He seems very comfy and so does his sister.

Only one kitten coughed that I know of. I can't coupage her because she's still somewhat feral. :-( Vaporzier is running and they kittens are running (around), too.

When do I know to re-dose with Puls? When they lose appetite?

I've been giving them .5-.75 mL of manuka honey in a bit of warm water 3x a day. I'll cut back to BID.

Thank you for your guidance!
Robin :)

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great to hear that the kittens are doing better!

Wonderful nutrition (including the Manuka honey) are fine to continue as you have been doing.

In general, redoses are based on any decrease in BEAM or worsening of the symptoms that improve during treatment. In this case, not just appetite, but any of the others as well.

The day or time will be based on their individual responses.

I'll also post part of a note that I just sent to another member about deciding when to dose.
This will be in the homeopathy folder.

Dr. Jeff

RobinO

VIP Member
Registered
Tuesday Update:
Last night Pistachio had two coughing fits right after the other. He was right next to me, but it was dark when it happened so I didn't see him very well. The cough was very wet and somewhat bubbly. I thought I should re-dose with Pulsitilla but this morning he ate well and was running around like a nut. I gave the kittens the manuka honey and am waiting to see how the day goes before I re-dose. Will look for your post about when to dose. I definitely need to understand that better.

Thank you!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Robin-

If increased coughing persists that indicates that the dis-ease is trying to resurface.

In general, redose if there is worsening after initial improvement.

Does that make sense?

Dr. Jeff

RobinO

VIP Member
Registered
I'm concerned the kittens are getting worse. The coughing episodes are increasing so I will dose them with Pulsitilla using the Qtip now.

I'm wondering if the manuka honey is not being given at an appropriate strength. Currently I'm using 2 mL hot water plus 1/4 tsp of the honey mixed together to make a slurry. I then take up 1 mL of the honey mixture into a syringe. Each kitten gets a full 1 mL of the mixture but I wonder if it's too dilute.

Since there was only minor, if any, improvement on their updated x-rays on Friday, I'd like to know if I should be anticipating that it will take much longer (weeks of coughing) before I see results. I'd also like to understand how to know when different path with treatment needs to be taken. This is distressing since this effects their breathing and I would hate to go so far down the road, waiting for results that don't come, then I lose them because I waited too long. Can they have fairly good BEAM, then tank anyway because their lungs aren't getting better? They are playing and eating well, but the coughing is alarming.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great questions Robin.

First of all, it's a good decision that you're planning to redose now. Have you done so since their initial dose?

Yes, bloodwork and radiographic changes often lag behind improvement in BEAM.

You mention trouble breathing. Are you referring to any respiratory issue aside for the sporadic cough?

Resting respiratory rate (RRR) is a great way to judge overall respiratory (and cardiac) function. When they are lying quietly count the rise and fall of their chests for 30 secs. Multiply by 2 to get their RRR/minute. It's usually less than 24.

The honey dilution is OK as long as they each get the full Manuka amount. If they like it, and their stools are formed, up to 1/2 tsp. of the honey twice/day.

When you say a different treatment do you mean a different homeopathic medicine, or do you mean working in some other way (which, by definition, will be "allopathic")?

In general, if the correct homeopathic medicine is being used but the problem is not resolving, the frequency of dosing or potency of the medicine needs to be adjusted.

Please keep us informed!

Dr. Jeff

beccak

VIP Member
Pet Professional
Registered
Robin
If you have time, just wondering how your kittens are doing?
Thanks,
Becca

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom