• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Rabies Booster for Adult Cat or I Can't Get His Dental Done

RobinO

All-Access Member
Registered
My 6-yr old cat, Dood is on Prozac due to aggression issues. To get his 'script refilled I had to bring him to my allopathic vet for a check up and updated blood work (last was done 4/17). They found that he has a hole in a tooth and it needs to be removed, but his last Rabies booster was (Merial 1 yr) in 4/2017. That's barely a year ago. They want to booster him or NO getting the dental done.

OR I offered to have a titer done and was told "Ok but it's a lot more $$ than doing the booster and..blah blah blah...25 years never saw problems" Which I replied that maybe there are problems you can't directly relate to the vaccination (like behavior issues) AND my cat has AGGRESSION issues already. I do not want to risk pushing that. He agreed to the titer, but I asked him how long it would be good for. Would he accept the results for a year? More? He would not say. It would at least cover allowing my cat to have a dental done.

He also added he would send a request for permission not to boost him from the State Vet, but added it was unlikely it would be approved. Of course he went on about how he can't put his staff at risk..etc. And of course I said I would never want that either. So...now I don't know what to do.

This comes up all the time with vaccinations, esp FVRCP boosters. They know not to even ask me about them unless it's for a rescue-kitten, but they have no problem making me feel badly that I'm not updating the vax.

Yes, I know..get another vet. :-( What else can I do?

Robin

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Robin-

What can you do?

Educate him the best that he will allow or (as you said) find a new vet.

Unfortunately the rabies issue is not negotiable for some. By law.

In general your best defense against potential ill effects from it are to optimize your kitties Vitality and Balance prior to vaccination, ask for a thimerosal (and mercury) free 3 year vaccine.

It's even great that he is accepting the titer result for your kitty to come in for the dental.

Perhaps other associate vets in his practice would be more open-minded.

When it comes to any other vaccines however, it is 100% up to you whether you do any or not.

Either you will need to live with this vet's eye rolls and resistance, or yes, find a more open-minded vet.

Remember, you are the captain of your vet care team.

Dr. Jeff

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Dana-

There definitely is a TF-free one from Merial and maybe one from Ft. Dodge.

Another Dana writes about them here:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom