• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Rabbit tooth tartar

SarahH

Community Member
Registered
Hi everyone! My kids have a small rabbit breeding business here in Westchester called Aster Holland Lops. We raise them inside, not outside, and they're all affectionate. A few months ago, one of our bunnies developed cherry eye; she was otherwise her usual self. Our veterinarian said to keep an eye on it. In the end, it was determined she had excessive tartar on one of her back molars and that she had developed an infection that was releasing pus behind her eye. The veterinarian recommended the full removal of the eye and an extensive clearing out of the ducts behind the eye cavity. I am looking for other alternatives to surgery. Her teeth are not overgrown; I have been soaking her open wound twice daily, drawing out the pus with caster oil, a clean copper penny, and warm water compresses. I have put vinegar on her back tooth to break down the tartar. I would love any feedback, as the last thing I want to do is put her through extensive surgery and remove her eye.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Sarah!

How's the bunny's BEAM score (with 1 being super low and 10 being normal)?

The special seaweed of the Proden Plaqueoff powder and chews can help loosen the tartar:

Also, perhaps try using this on the wound and the gums near the tooth:

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom