• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Pyometra

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Hello. What are your thoughts on spaying (or not) a 11yo? I have never had a female pup and don't really know what to do if she is in heat. Also, I understand that there is a possibility of pyometra which I researched online and it sounds very scary. I certainly don't want her to go through that. Is pyometra common? If the chance of developing it is low and if I am able to keep her balanced internally (good BEAM) then this is something I don't have to be overly concerned with, correct? Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Morning Christine-

Regarding spaying an adult dog, it depends on lots of factors.

Dr. Sara does a great job of reviewing all of them in her neutering/spaying course.

It's in your resource area and @aruna can point you to it if you can't find it.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Christine,
Concern about pyometra is a great example of why it is important to become a client of a holistic veterinarian before there is a crisis.

You are absolutely correct that the chance of uterine infection is much, much less in a balanced, vital dog. However, any illness can occur as we work towards that perfect health state.

Some dis-ease gives you time to find a holistic vet you are comfortable with to treat the illness. Others in this forum have found that there are, especially now with covid, many challenges in becoming a patient.

Pyometra has been successfully resolved in many females with Homeopathic medicine or Chinese medicine, so as you do your research about spaying your older female, begin right away to find one or more veterinarians to be on your health care team.

Go to How to Select an Integrative Holistic Veterinarian - Holistic Actions! for a lot more information on selecting and working with a holistic vet.

As a HA! member, you can become a patient of Dr. Jeff's homeopathic practice. There may be a 2-4 week wait.

Most important is to be 100% vigilant when they are in heat and do not let them be mounted by a male dog.

Dr. Christina

tsharlo1

All-Access Member
Registered
Christine,

I had a female who lived to over 12 and was not spayed. She was under the care of Dr. Jeff for other health issues. Dr. Jeff is over 6 hours from me so all was done by phone. I also had a very good relationship with my local vet and he was supportive of my decisions for any treatment to be with Dr. Jeff. My local vet was great for diagnostics and he shared his appointment notes with Dr. Jeff.

Debbie

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Christine,

I had a female who lived to over 12 and was not spayed. She was under the care of Dr. Jeff for other health issues. Dr. Jeff is over 6 hours from me so all was done by phone. I also had a very good relationship with my local vet and he was supportive of my decisions for any treatment to be with Dr. Jeff. My local vet was great for diagnostics and he shared his appointment notes with Dr. Jeff.

Debbie
Hi Debbie - Thank you for sharing. After reading the resources on neutering and your post, I think I know what's best for Hope now :) Thank you again.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dear Christine,
Well done, thinking this through! Some breeds are more at risk for pyometra than others, the Jitpean study also gives pyometra incidence by breed
As Debbie notes, even elderly girls of breeds with a higher incidence can do just fine, when they get excellent care.
Estrus cycles are not difficult to work with for most girls.
Most girls cycle twice a year, roughly six months apart, for about three weeks each time, and the amount of bleeding is highly variable. The middle week is generally the most fertile, though I wouldn't take any chances, because not every girl reads the book.
During the heat cycle, you can still walk your girl outside, though I would avoid public areas where intact male dogs could be.
You may want to put panties on your girl during estrus, though I don't - mine clean themselves.
Pyometra is most common within the first two months after a heat cycle, as that is when the hormonal (progesterone) levels increase to support a pregnancy, even if no pregnancy occurs.
About two months after estrus, the girl will have a false whelping (erroneously called a false pregnancy), and her breasts may enlarge, and she may mother toys. This lasts a week to ten days.
The false whelping starts when the progesterone hormone levels drop, near when pregnancy would end.
I hope this helps!
Sara

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thank you @Dr. Sara! :) I appreciate this so much - it's very very informative. Hope was a stray and the vets weren't sure of her breed but looking through the report you provided, I think she's not on the list, as those are bigger dogs (?)

What are the signs of a dog coming into estrus cycle? Symptoms of "PMS" some may experience for humans (I hope that makes sense)..
And
What are the signs of pyometra?

Thank you again.

Dr. Sara

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
Dogs vary somewhat in their signs of oncoming estrus. Most will lick their vulva more, and the vulva will enlarge. This enlargement can be hard to see on a small fluffy dog!
When you notice excess licking, gently pat the vulva with a tissue, and look for a pink / red fluid. That bloody discharge will become more bloody, then usually become clear, then sometimes become bloody again. The nature of the discharge is variable, though normal estrus discharge should smell like blood or like the dog, never foul, like infection.
Most dogs act a bit differently before estrus. Most will mark outside a bit more, stopping frequently on their walks to urinate. Some girls get moody, though it is not like PMS in humans - dogs reserve true bitchiness for protecting their puppies!

During estrus, some girls want to mount other animals more, some become more clingy with their people. Almost all girls in heat mark much more frequently outside, as nature is telling them to advertise. This is why you need to be vigilant in watching for fellas around the house, as an experienced dog is quick and to the point. An inexperienced dog is such a doofus it is almost amusing, though the female rarely finds it funny.
It is important to prevent accidental breeding to prevent damage to the female and infection.

Pyometra is an infection of the uterus. It can be closed, where the pus does not drain out of the uterus, or open, with drainage of foul smelling material, which can be any colour - white, green, red, brown.
Most girls with pyometra show signs within the two months after their heat cycle ends, though it can occur at any time. Usually the female feels quite ill. She may be slow or sluggish, she may have a poor appetite and a fever. Some girls are pretty tough, especially if the pyometra is draining. That is why it is so important to watch your pup's BEAM, and pay attention to her 'lady parts' regularly.
Stay well,
Sara

kristen_acri

All-Access Member
Registered
I am also grateful for this thread and the added info from @Dr. Sara. Kendi has her first appointment with a conventional vet next week since I adopted her that is. She was listed as spayed but she is not. She's 11 years old.

Thanks again!

Kristen

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
I am also grateful for this thread and the added info from @Dr. Sara. Kendi has her first appointment with a conventional vet next week since I adopted her that is. She was listed as spayed but she is not. She's 11 years old.

Thanks again!

Kristen
Hi Kirsten - How's Kendi doing and what have you decided for her?

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Excellent. Thank you Christine.
Dr. Charles Loops wrote an article decades ago and he was 100% successful treating pyometra. Often the symptoms of the individual did point to Sepia.
Dr. Christina

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Also, Christine, it's possible that the ultrasound fluid was not from a pyo. at all.

Perhaps ask the vet to have a radiologist review the images (which they can send by email). This service is usually widely available, and not too expensive.

ChristineL

All-Access Member
Registered
Thanks, @Dr. Christina and, @Dr. Jeff - Yesterday, we dropped off Hope at the vet at 7am and picked her up around 1pm....she did not pee before we left home nor the entire time when she was there. She peed lots when she got home...I'm suspecting the organ w/ fluid was her bladder.

Anyway, we're seeing Dr. Gordon tomorrow. I will ask him re radiologist reading the images.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Hoping I can add to this thread even if it is old. Blossom, just adopted 3 months ago seems to be dropping very infrequently some pink drops. I guess it is from her female parts. I thought it was wine on the floor! As I said very small. She seems to be very clingy after dinner today so why so suddenly? I never had a dog that was not spayed so I am not sure about things but she seems quiet and following more. She chewed a bone today and ate her dinner fast as usual but then she seemed different per above observations. Shame Shame I don't even know where her vulva is---the fleshy thing under her tail? I just don't want to take her to the vet because I can't get her there (I suppose if I HAD to I would somehow put her through the anxiety of riding in the car but hope I don't have to do that as I am working on that goal for her. I guess I will just wait and see about things but I am not cut out for this stress anymore when I don't know what is going on or what to do. Dr Sara's thread had me chuckling but very informative as always. Thank you.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Yes, her vulva is that fleshy thing under her tail.

It sounds like she is in heat (many female dogs get clingy around the time of their heat).

Maybe just continue to support her, love her up and let her body do "its thing"! Flow Free flower essence 3x a day may be helpful.

If her BEAM score drops below 8, a vet visit may be in order.

Now might be a great time to watch @Dr. Sara's wonderful course about heat cycles and spaying!

LilF

Community Member
Registered
Yes, I am going to watch now that it may be happening. Sheesh... my vet is leaving till after the holidays which scares me every time he goes away on a holiday. He will call me tomorrow on some other issue so I guess I will add this to the list.... I noticed a male dog has been peeing on my mail post which Blossom smells. I put ammonia there so the male stays away (it works on raccoons!) But Blossom has been walking up to the street/mail post to pee the past few days. Not sure who was there first , the male smelling her or she smelling his mark. It is all very interesting and new for me. You know it is interesting too... I have never seen this dog smile since I got her. She smiled in her shelter picture or was that a stress face, I am not sure. But why haven't I seen her smile. I KNOW she is happy. Even when I pet her in the mornings which she loves, she never smiles but does wag her tail WILDLY. The other day she licked my hand when I got home.... she never did that before either. Off the track again I went.... I am going to give her the flower essence too. I was reading if she is balanced less chance for those terrible female diseases like pyometra. Thank you ... I will get an early start on my "assignment" tomorrow. :)

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom