• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Pyometra

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
These will be prescribed for Hope for post op

Hope will need pain medication, anti-nausea and anti-inflammatory medication.
Gabapentin
Galliprant
Ondansetron

Any alternatives for these Rx?

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Ummm, I don't think she'll need them, really. Start with the Arnica, as Dr. Jeff said. Give her a dose following the surgery. After that, whenever she seems uncomfortable, maybe at 12 hour intervals for the first day or two. Her little body will know how to obviate the troubles, given the assist from the remedy. I might suggest a small dose - 30c - of Nux Vomica, if and only if she becomes nauseous. But the Arnica will help her with pain as well as inflammation. Gotta say, homeopathy helps the body do its own thing, while the drugs only suppress - along with slowing healing!

Forgot to say: I'm NOT the homeopath....a lot of practical experience, though - along with a big mouth.

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
Ummm, I don't think she'll need them, really. Start with the Arnica, as Dr. Jeff said. Give her a dose following the surgery. After that, whenever she seems uncomfortable, maybe at 12 hour intervals for the first day or two. Her little body will know how to obviate the troubles, given the assist from the remedy. I might suggest a small dose - 30c - of Nux Vomica, if and only if she becomes nauseous. But the Arnica will help her with pain as well as inflammation. Gotta say, homeopathy helps the body do its own thing, while the drugs only suppress - along with slowing healing!

Forgot to say: I'm NOT the homeopath....a lot of practical experience, though - along with a big mouth.

I love your practical experience and "big mouth" :) <---both are very valuable. I love getting advice from the amazing vets here but advice from pet guardians is just as valuable and helpful. I agree - I feel she will not need all of those Rxs. I also have CBD with some THC which she's been on for a while - I will give her those as well. Thank you again!

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
On Sunday night around 10pm, Hope was showing intense discomfort and distress (i.e., panting and trembling) - we found a great emergency hospital nearby. They took x-rays and ultrasound as well as bloodwork and determined that she’s primed for surgery to have the uterus removed. The surgeon just called - they found a large mass and one of the uterine walls was severely thickened. They will send me photos. The surgery went well and was clean. She did good. Thank God. She will stay overnight and possibly two nights - we will visit her tomorrow.

I dosed her Arnica 10M before and on the way to the hospital. Even though the surgeon refused to give Arnica right after the operation, I will try to dose her when I visit her.

LilF

Community Member
Registered
@Dr. Jeff @Dr. Sara @Dr. Christina @Dr. Jean Hofve - We brought our senior girl to a new vet today (because the local vet we usually go to was closed) because she has abdominal distention and large amount of blood discharging. The new vet mentioned a few things which I would like your opinions on:

1) she said pyometra discharge does NOT always have a smell (contrary to what Dr. Sara indicated and what I found online) - she said it could be clear and blood-smelling.

2) she indicated that a normal white blood count (my girl had her blood drawn by another vet about 2 weeks ago and I showed her the results) does not mean there isn't a pyometra.

3) I asked about OSS - she said due to my girl's age (~12/13 yo), she doesn't need hormones from the ovaries - hormones produced by the adrenal gland would be enough.

4) she concluded today that my girl has open pyometra, based on "enlarged uterus + excessive bleeding"

5) I asked for an ultrasound so we could have a clearer picture of what type of fluid is in the uterus that is causing the enlargement - she indicated that ultrasound does not show the type of fluid. Is it true?

She drew some blood today and we will know by tomorrow (Saturday) if there's any drastic change in anything since the last blood test. She also suggested surgery this coming Monday.

I also would like to ask: can homeopathic remedies resolve an open pyometra? [I remember reading a post on this Forum that Dr. Sara had successfully treated her girl with an open pyometra and due to her travel schedule, her girl underwent an OSS.]

My girl's BEAM today: refused food and snuffle session this morning but upon our return from the vet's office, she's back to normal - she ate a full plate of fresh food and she's doing snuffle mats now!

Hi Christine, how is your girl doing? My Blossom had pyometra before her OSS last year. There was blood all over the floor and way more than the normal heat spotting. I caught it early and they gave her antibiotics which cleared it up so she could have the OSS a couple months later. All went well. My girl did not need surgery. I agree this can be life threatening. I think that there are homeopathic remedies "for pyometra" but perhaps to avoid it. I remember seeing and writing down the remedies but can't find it at this posting. I would probably agree too that at 13 I would probably do a full spay as well---they can do those laporascopically with little to no recovery time, although more expensive! When Blossom had it she drank a ton of water. This dog NEVER drinks water but that was the only time she lapped it up by the bowlful. Oddly she had just had bloodwork the day before the onset of symptoms and nothing showed up, no signs of infection. Of course it was labor day weekend she got it and the vet left on saturday right after he went over the blood work from the day before. Lo and behold 2 hours after I talked to the vet the blood started and he was gone so I had to make decisions on my own. The bloody discharge did not seem to smell

LilF

Community Member
Registered
On Sunday night around 10pm, Hope was showing intense discomfort and distress (i.e., panting and trembling) - we found a great emergency hospital nearby. They took x-rays and ultrasound as well as bloodwork and determined that she’s primed for surgery to have the uterus removed. The surgeon just called - they found a large mass and one of the uterine walls was severely thickened. They will send me photos. The surgery went well and was clean. She did good. Thank God. She will stay overnight and possibly two nights - we will visit her tomorrow.

I dosed her Arnica 10M before and on the way to the hospital. Even though the surgeon refused to give Arnica right after the operation, I will try to dose her when I visit her.
Her heart crashed. We lost our girl.
WHAAT? I did not see this update before posting.....I am so so sorry and shocked. Sudden turnabouts like this leave a wound that is hard to heal...Sorry Christine----really sorry for your loss...She knew she was taken care of with love by you for a long long time.....

ChristineL

VIP Member
Registered
WHAAT? I did not see this update before posting.....I am so so sorry and shocked. Sudden turnabouts like this leave a wound that is hard to heal...Sorry Christine----really sorry for your loss...She knew she was taken care of with love by you for a long long time.....
Thanks LilF - I don't think my heart will ever be healed.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom