• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Puppy nutrition

PatriciaM

VIP Member
Registered
Hi
In The past, I have whelped puppies and weaned them onto raw food. i had no issues with this. However, I have found that there is not always follow through on there going to new home. Is there a practical good quality puppy food that I can send them to new home with, that you would recommend? I have also fed a dehydrated raw food sometime, like Rawables or Dr Marty’s? Would any of these be suitable if they had a version for puppies?
Trease

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
I send my pups home with a complete balanced raw that is labelled "formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages including growth of large size dogs (70 lbs or more as an adult)" The product that I use is K9Kravings; there are many others with this statement.
As you say, people do not always follow up with raw. It is a good idea to research other foods, such as freeze-dried, dehydrated, and canned, and expose the pups to trying some of them. It is important to ensure that the food has the nutritional adequacy statement above. Imbalance of calcium and phosphorus levels can cause serious growth problems, especially in large and giant breed dogs.
Recently, one of my clients fed a raw labelled 'Puppy', contrary to my recommendation, because it was more affordable than the diets I suggested. The pup started to show signs of mineral imbalance, and when she gave me the product information, the calcium / phosphorus nutritional analysis is not suitable for large breed pups. The pup is doing better again with return to an appropriate diet.
Beware companies that do not conform to minimum AAFCO standards!
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Patricia! Thanks for bring up an important question.

Dr. Sara's experience, as both a vet and as a Berner breeder, is unique and is really important. I've gotten many great tips from her!

I had not heard of K9Kravings but plan to go check it out. Thanks for another goodie @Dr. Sara!

Keeping them the pups on a complete raw diet is best for their vitality and growth, but I don't see any problem with a temporary switch to a great freeze-dried, air-dried or dehydrated meat diet as you described.

However, I don't however know if any of them are diets that the pups could stay on in case the new guardians don't practice feeding the variety required to achieve balance.

GinnyW

Community Member
Registered
Just to add a completely different approach: My dog career predates prepared raw foods by a bunch:) We old timers usually wean pups directly to raw meaty bones: pieces of meat and some bone, for instance a chicken wingtip or strip of breast meat, or a pork rib - something they cannot possibly consume at 4-6 weeks old, but they start to get the idea and suck around the edges. This is while they still have access to mother's milk, of course. She will wean them when the time is right, and you can start adding more and different bits: sardines, chicken feet, and even put down some awesomely big, for a pup, things like a half chicken, a game hen, a chunk of pork shoulder, etc. I also worship at the altar of variety - young pups can eat all sorts of things without worry about presenting them with too much variety, and this is the time to teach them. The only ground food I feed is ground tripe, or a bit of ground anything if it's necessary to get pills down. Anyway, remember these are baby carnivores you're raising, so feed appropriately and without fear:)

PatriciaM

VIP Member
Registered
Question: Is the K9Kravings in a puppy formula or in a general performance/adult formula? I have asked a supplier and no puppy version. Or do I need to keep asking for puppy version?

Thank you for your input from all of you. Yes they are little carnivores. The large bones are a good idea. I will look for the AAFCO as I am always concerned that they are getting everything they need.
I also wanted something practical, that I can strongly recommend, send home with the new owner that they will follow through and be able to buy or order online. My past experience says I need to have it all spelled out and where to go or order it. The more simple you make it for them the better for the pup. So many time they start feeding something cheaper instead because they think it will be just as good and it is to the detriment of the dog. Fortunately a good raw is more commonly sold in a couple local stores in area, that will give a discount to frequent buyers.
Thank you
Trease

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Thanks so much for these wise words in your first post Ginny.?

Yes Trease, having it all spelled out for new puppy parents, in a "consumable" fashion, is a great idea!:pup:

Since I have not used the food or know the company, let's see what Dr. Sara says.

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
The label on K9Kraving states: "formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages including growth of large size dogs (70 lbs or more as an adult)". Here is their website:
Raw Dog Food | All Natural Dog Treats | K-9 Kraving
If in doubt about a food, do contact the company directly. Some suppliers will go look at the product (I copied the statement off the tube), others will not. The company has the most incentive to help you!

I used to prepare my raw from animal parts and organs. It has gotten hard to source in my area, and harder still to store sufficient food when I was feeding three giant breed adults. I had such trouble explaining to pup owners and clients how to feed a balanced raw diet, and the balanced ground raw diets have made this much easier.

The only valid complaint that the veterinary community has against raw feeding is that there are too many raw fed dogs and cats that are fed unbalanced diets. It is virtually unheard of for an animal fed a commercial balanced diet to develop nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism, for instance. The only cases that are seen are animals fed a home prepared diet, usually an all meat diet.

It is certainly possible for people to home prepare a balanced diet, but it requires significant effort, attention to detail, and commitment to variety.
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Wow, thanks for the great info Dr. Sara! :)

I'll be checking out their food this weekend.

PatriciaM

VIP Member
Registered
The label on K9Kraving states: "formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for All Life Stages including growth of large size dogs (70 lbs or more as an adult)". Here is their website:
Raw Dog Food | All Natural Dog Treats | K-9 Kraving
If in doubt about a food, do contact the company directly. Some suppliers will go look at the product (I copied the statement off the tube), others will not. The company has the most incentive to help you!

I used to prepare my raw from animal parts and organs. It has gotten hard to source in my area, and harder still to store sufficient food when I was feeding three giant breed adults. I had such trouble explaining to pup owners and clients how to feed a balanced raw diet, and the balanced ground raw diets have made this much easier.

The only valid complaint that the veterinary community has against raw feeding is that there are too many raw fed dogs and cats that are fed unbalanced diets. It is virtually unheard of for an animal fed a commercial balanced diet to develop nutritional secondary hyperparathyroidism, for instance. The only cases that are seen are animals fed a home prepared diet, usually an all meat diet.

It is certainly possible for people to home prepare a balanced diet, but it requires significant effort, attention to detail, and commitment to variety.
Dr. Sara
Thank you for that good direction, especially on the AAFCO nutrition levels For all life stages. I made note on this not only for future puppies but for those who have asked me for feeding advice. Balance is key for any life stage. You are right that it is not easy for those who are new to raw, to understand and continue feeding raw. This does make it simpler and easier to understand.
thank you
Trease

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom