• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

PUPPY DYING

SarahH

Community Member
Registered
I am a breeder of Havanese. My current liter got coccidia 2 weeks ago and were treated and are doing well, save one puppy, let's call her Bella. Born 7/27/21 and is 2 pounds.

We've been on 1ml of albon for 14 days; other than that no meds.

She is not eating on her own now; when I was feeding her she was on Kayro , ad food, responds well when eating Purina pro plan, what she grew up on.

Her BG at 100 this morning, 74 at 1pm, 64 now.

She is listless and arching; seemingly in the throw of death altough she was doing well at the veterinarians today. I thought she would make a full recovery.

Sarah Hodgson has told me so much about your group and it is with every intention I am going to join. I am berefted and appreciative of any help. Thank you Marijke Tansey, Guilford CT

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear about your pup Marijke. :(

Sarah, thanks so much for posting for Marijke.?

Great news that Bella was able to rally at the vet today! That's wonderful evidence that she has the vitality to regain her appetite and start eating soon.

As an experienced breeder, you know that coccidia are usually not much of a problem (as you see in the other pups).

Unless she is having severe diarrhea, her not eating and hypoglycemia might be a hyper-response to the albon.

A super sensitivity may be a result of other underlying imbalance that were hidden until now. Was she 100% normal before this? How big are the other pups?

SarahH

Community Member
Registered
Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear about your pup Marijke. :(

Sarah, thanks so much for posting for Marijke.?

Great news that Bella was able to rally at the vet today! That's wonderful evidence that she has the vitality to regain her appetite and start eating soon.

As an experienced breeder, you know that coccidia are usually not much of a problem (as you see in the other pups).

Unless she is having severe diarrhea, her not eating and hypoglycemia might be a hyper-response to the albon.

A super sensitivity may be a result of other underlying imbalance that were hidden until now. Was she 100% normal before this? How big are the other pups?
Thanks JEff. I've connected you outside as I have to sign off and MT isn't computer savvy enough to figure thos out tonight in her emotional state.

SarahH

Community Member
Registered
Thank you so much for responding. Sarah is truly wonderful.
She was 100% prior to the coccidia. The other puppies ranged 2 to 4.2 lbs. it wasn’t a big litter only five and she was not the smallest. Still watery.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Marijke and I communicated off the forum about the raw egg + blackstrap molasses mix or Answer's goat's milk for keeping the puppy's blood sugar (and balance) normalized.

Sarah also had the awe-some idea to try a chicken-rice porridge.

Last thing tonight the pup was doing better.

We'll see how she is in the am...

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom