• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Preemie kitten failing to thrive

A

Ardella

I am working with a sizable cat colony, and one of the mothers had her kittens prematurely in April (around the 10th or 12th--I forget the exact date). I suspect the premature birth might have been brought on by the death of one of the kittens--one of the five was apparently born dead. The other four survived for quite some time; I think she may have injured two of them when she was trying to move them from one corner of the room we had her in to the other, as they both died within a few hours of each other. Two are still surviving. I am still concerned about both of them. The larger and much healthier kitten is wheezing now with diminished energy and appetite; she is eating some solid food. The other kitten is still so, so tiny, and he (she?) lacks energy and won't really eat solid food. I suspect a degree of anemia. I fear losing him. He is so sweet and wants to cuddle and have his tiny body petted--and he's been so plucky so far.

Any suggestions, particularly about the smaller one?

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Ardella-

Try feeding the smaller kitten Answer's fermented (or other) goat's milk mixed with raw egg and black strap molasses.

Have you had the kittens tested for intestinal parasites (worms)?

There are many other conditions and symptoms associated with a failure to thrive.

Is there anything that stands out about him? Thirst?

Here are some rubrics (from Synthesis) that may be useful:

GENERALS - CHILDREN; COMPLAINTS IN - delicate, puny, sickly: (15) alum. aur. brom. calc-p. Caust. irid-met. Lyc. mag-c. mag-m. nux-m. phos. psor. sanic. Sil. tub.

GENERALS - EMACIATION - children; in - infants; in: (77) abr. abrot. Acet-ac. ant-i. arg-met. Arg-n. ars. ars-i. aur. bar-c. borx. Calc. calc-hp. calc-i. calc-p. Calc-sil. caps. carb-an. carb-v. caust. cetr. chin. clem. ferr. Ferr-p. fl-ac. Gaert. glyc. helon. Hep. Hydr. iod. kali-i. kali-p. kreos. led. lyc. mag-c. mang-act. merc. Merc-c. nat-c. nat-m. nux-m. Ol-j. op. Ph-ac. phos. phyt. plb. Plb-act. plb-i. Plb-m. psor. rhus-t. ric. Samb. sanic. sars. sec. sel. sep. Sil. stann. staph. Sulph. syph. ter. ther. Thuj. thyr. tritic-vg. tub. uran-n. vanad. Verat. zinc.

Keep the kitty warm, get him out in the sunlight as much as possible and try to get some fresh food (or the milk mix) every few hours.

You can also try tiny pieces of the goat's milk cheese + spirulina (this is mixed in with the cheese).

Lastly, consider a dose or two of Arnica because of the trauma.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom