• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Possible Coral Snake Bite

JenniferC

Registered
This morning my two American Brittany dogs (Fae age 1 and Piper age 2) came inside after being outside in our fenced yard. We live in a rural area. Fae vomited her breakfast but she sometimes does that if she eats too fast. Before we knew all that was going on, our Pyr mix Gus at some of her vomit and then he vomited. After they came in, both girls started licking and biting at their feet - all four. Thinking they had ants biting them, put them in shower and washed their feet - no signs of ants. They continued to bite and chew different feet. Examined feet for cacti or other sharp things and could not find anything. Both girls continued to be very restless and chew feet. I gave them a dose of Ant Crud 6C and they seem to calm a little and go to sleep but were restless and moving around on their beds. My daughter went to check the fenced area for ants, etc and she saw a coral snake. We have no idea if the dogs were bitten. We cannot find bite marks or swollen area. Recently found a little blood on Piper's foot but it could have been from her chewing. We just moved and I do not have a vet yet - very hard to find a holistic vet sadly. I called a local vet and was told that it would be obvious if they were bitten - swollen, pain, lethargy. I gave them two doses of Lachesis 30C and Elaps Corrallinus 30C (I am a Homeopath). Is it obvious when they are bitten by coral snake? Some reading on web indicates might not be so... I am concerned to go to an emergency vet and if they prescribe anti-venom, esp since we are not sure if they were bitten. Any experience with this? Thanks so much!

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hi Jennifer-

I'm sorry to hear about your pup's health challenges.

Is it obvious when they are bitten by coral snake?
It depends, but usually there is a drop in BEAM soon after a bite (or any other big external stress). As you know, the individual response to the stressor is an even bigger factor than the stressor itself and depends on the indivdual's susceptibility and level of health.
Some reading on web indicates might not be so... I am concerned to go to an emergency vet and if they prescribe anti-venom, esp since we are not sure if they were bitten. Any experience with this?
Perhaps rely more on supporting their bodies rather than using the anti-venom.

How are Piper and Fae now?

JenniferC

Registered
Thank you. I took them to an emergency pet hospital. Vet did not think coral snake bite - could not find any bite marks though that is not uncommon since c.s. do not have fangs or any kind of injury or rash etc. Vet postulated some kind of contact dermatitis and recommend a steroid injection and steroid wipes. I declined. They are both still licking and chewing on feet and Fae pulls at her toenails with her teeth. Both are eating and drinking normally. They are sleepy as this sensation interferes with sleep and they have not slept much today. I am trying to figure out if it is itch or pain or both so I can work on a remedy to get them some relief and hopefully them (and me) some sleep.

JenniferC

Registered
Update this morning: I do think they were bitten by the snake we saw. Their symptoms (kicking legs, restlessness, and feet and toenail chewing and licking) intensified overnight. Thankfully, their Vital Force with help of homeopathy seems to be keeping it away from vital organs and in external areas. No breathing issues or any noticeable neurological changes. We are now at the 26-hour mark, and I am hopeful things will stay on the periphery and then improve as their body processes the venom. They are both still eating and drinking and despite the lack of sleep have energy and interest in what is going on around them. Behavior is the main BEAM change related to the symptoms.

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Great work! Yay for a balanced Vital Force!!:snowman:

BTW-Warm water-epsom salt foot baths 2x a day should help their itchy feet.

Dr. Christina

All-Access Member
Veterinarian
Good BEAM is the key. What homeopathic medicines fit their symptoms?
Dr. Christina

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom