• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Perianal gland tumor question

H

hsutopia

I've got a new "medical challenge" with one of my dogs, and would really appreciate some advice on the best way to evaluate next steps.

This is an 8-year old intact male, who this week had cytology done on a 8mm raised lump.  Diagnosis is <em>perianal gland tumor, probable adenoma - adenomatous hyperplasia</em>.

The vet says this is good news that it's most likely benign, but still suggests removing the lump for a biopsy, and neutering him at the same time, since these adenomas typically happen in older intact dogs.  The suggestion is that removing the testosterone would prevent these types of tumors.

This boy has super vitality, is balanced and sound, and has rarely had any health issues.  The only "bad" thing is he has a retained testicle; he had both at 8 weeks, and one pulled up before he was 4 or 5 months old.  We weighed the risk and made the decision to leave it.  He has had minimal vaccines except for rabies, for which he had the 6 month, 1.5 year, then approx. every 3 years.  Last booster was just a few months ago.

So there are two decision points:

1. Whether to remove the lump.  The lump is still small, and not in a location that is likely to cause any problems.  The report indicates it is probably benign, but can't know for certain without removing it and doing a biopsy.  I also wonder whether a benign tumor of this type could convert to a malignant one, or if it could grow until it becomes a problem and harder to remove.  I'm inclined to have it removed, but at this point it's because this is something I'm not familiar with, so am a bit nervous about it.  I don't typically remove other benign lumps like sebaceous cysts or lipomas.

2. Whether to neuter or at least remove the retained one.  Is this a serious enough issue to neuter for?  Does the fact he has had one tumor mean he's prone to getting many more?  If he gets more benign lumps, is that really a problem?  In terms of neutering, I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, especially since there are many health benefits to keeping his hormones.  Part of me wonders whether the retained testicle could make perianal tumors more likely to occur, though I've only ever seen references to testicular tumors so I suspect not.

Thanks!
Christine

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Hey Christine-

1. Yes. Any inflammation or eruption in the body can transform to a malignant cancer. However, it is the terrain of his body that will determine if this happens.

With his high vitality and strong balance, it is much, much less likely than otherwise.

Since you are considering removal, I would suggest you start treating him <strong>before</strong> that based on his "constitutionality". In other words, looking at his history, prior (even if resolved) minor medical problems, subtle EWS, etc.

Removal carries the risk of suppression and decreasing his vitality and worsening his balance. However, leaving it also carries risks. Mainly of it growing and becoming more difficult to remove.

2. This is indeed a hormone responsive tumor. Neutering may or may not help. In addition, his tendency to make new ones will be determined by many other factors. Primarily his susceptibility to other forms of sycotic growths.

Did this lump arise before or after his last vaccine? Vaccinosis is often classified as a form of sycosis (which is one of Hahnemann's major chronic dis-eases).

Is this eruption on the left or right side of his anus?

Dr. Jeff

H

hsutopia

Thank you, Dr. Jeff.  Unfortunately I'm not sure about the timing of the lump because it's not in an obvious location that I would normally check.  It's to the upper right of his anus (about 2 o'clock), just under the base of his tail, <em>"near the rectum mucocutaneous junction"</em>.  I only saw it because I had to remove a foxtail in that area after he was worrying it.  His rabies vaccine was in mid-Feb, it's possible that it came after, but I don't know for sure.

I had to look up the word sycotic (wart-like growths).  :-D   Of all the dogs I've had, he's the only one that has not had any kind of lumps or bumps at all- I don't even think he has any little skin tags.

Got it re: treating based on constitutionality before any kind of potentially suppressive action.

Christine

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic that you looked up sycotic!

That is so awesome.

Dr. Jeff

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom