• Everyone can read this forum. To post on this forum, you must be a Community or VIP member. You can register here. If you are a member, to login use your email address for the username and the same password you use for the main site. If you have problems logging in to the forum, please email support@holisticactions.com.

Oral lysine

JaneS

VIP Member
Registered
I have been giving oral lysine to my cat. However I saw conflicting reports that thus could also aggravate issues in cats such as the virus that affects the respiratory system in the eyes. What are the feelings about lysine?

Dr. Sara

VIP Member
Veterinarian
HA! Faculty
L-lysine is believed to suppress blood arginine levels, inhibiting herpesvirus replication. Some studies appeared to show that lysine decreased herpesvirus symptoms in some cats, and other studies showed no benefit. In practice, it seems to help some cats, and not others. It is generally considered safe, though some voice concerns that it could lower arginine levels.

Some conventional ophthalmologists and other vets use lysine, finding the greatest likelihood of benefit if the cat receives it before a stressful event that might cause an increase in symptoms. In such cases, some cats appear to show fewer or no symptoms following stress. Usually the dose is 500 mg orally twice daily.

There is a study showing that in an animal shelter, there was not much difference seen with lysine treatment and that it might worsen herpes. Considering that most cats in shelters are severely stressed, they are not receiving before a stressful situation.

If you are concerned that l-lysine could worsen symptoms by decreasing arginine, consider using it in a pulsing manner - two weeks on two weeks off - or dosing it for a week before a stressful event that tends to precipitate a flare up, like travel or holiday events.

I hope this helps!
Dr. Sara

Dr. Jeff

Administrator
Veterinarian
Fantastic discussion! Thanks Jane and Dr. Sara.

As Sara mentioned, lyssine only works well in certain individuals.

However, its effect is enhanced when combined with the other supplements in Liquid Immuno from Rx Vitamins:

Like any other pharmacologic agent, it and may make others worse based on the balance of your kitty's inner terrain.

Imbalance increases sensitivity to the supplement and increases the risk for side effects.

In 35+ years, I have never seen a kitty develop problems from lyssine.

Weekly Digest

Weekly Digest
Subscribe/Unsubscribe
Top Bottom